Blog Archive

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Create Beauty in your Life and your Works


I just read a post from Tracy Krauss' blog that is part of the monthly blog chain that I participate in each month that truly inspired me.She talked about visiting a school that encourages students to create beautiful work. That didn't mean that everything had to be an iconoclastic work of art but rather something that was the best of what a student could do.

That got me thinking. It's been said that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but do people really try to create something beautiful to behold? How much do we see on TV, movies, or books that creates something to shock rather than to inspire the thought of beauty?

I used to watch TV soaps but turned them about two years ago because they became more shocking than I cared for. Movies aren't much better. So is it not much of a surprise that the life of those same actors has become just as shocking. And the reality TV shows -- is there any beauty there in the housewives of X city or the atrocious Jersey shore show that glamorizes bad behavior? It is even more shocking when I heard that Princeton University paid Snookie to speak there! Is this how they want to inspire their graduates?

So I hope that my readers and other writers will take the thought of not writing something to shock but rather to create something of beauty to inspire others to be the best of who they can be.

The picture in this post is one of my favorite beautiful sights. I don't claim to be a wonderful photographer, but it is a beautiful memory to me. It is a sunset in Tahiti. I have many other favorite snapshots, some on film some only in my memory that I like to view as things of beauty to me. What is of beauty to you and how are you sharing that beauty and joy of life with others?

2 comments:

  1. That is a very inspiring photo. Thanks for mentioning my post from the other day. I'm glad it inspired you. :) I am reminded of an old book by E. Schafer called 'The Hidden Art of Homemaking'. It is less about 'homemaking' in the traditional sense and more about finding beauty and the aesthetic in every aspect of life - right down to what we do on a day to day basis in our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! Yes, I was inspired by the concept of that school. Wouldn't it be great if more schools with both teachers and students who had that attitude.

    ReplyDelete