Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Father and Baby Relationships: Author Interview with Kevin DeFilippis

You’ve recently published your first children’s picture book entitled All Day with Daddy. What inspired you to write this story?
The birth of my daughter, Siena, inspired me to write my first children's book. After she was born, my wife and I would read to her daily. Since, I work during the day, I'd spend most of the evening with Siena and would read to her before bed. One night/morning, I woke up to Siena crying as infants do. While feeding her a bottle, the idea for the book just came to me.

Who helped you polish your story? Are you active in any writing critique groups? Prior to writing this book, what was your publishing and writing background?
I was not a part of any writing groups. I do not have any publishing background. I am fortunate enough to have friends and family members who are early elementary teachers. They read and commented on several drafts of the book. I hired an editor to proof the books as well.

Did you try the traditional route of seeking a publisher and/or agent to market your book? When did you decide to self-publish your own imprint?
I wrote the book and still had my reservations on whether I wanted to pursue publishing it. After finally deciding to go for it, I did a lot of research between traditional publishing and self publishing. I decided to self publish mainly because I knew I could get the book published and into the hands of the reader much quicker.

Were you overwhelmed in trying to learn everything about publishing?
I was very overwhelmed, but took my time. I used YouTube to watch instructional videos on how to self-publish. I am still trying to figure out how to market the book. I have joined different author groups. I have used Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to market the book to large audiences.

Several family members of mine are interested in writing as well,  so I created the website paduapublishing.com. The website will be used to give author biographies and links to where my book and any future books may be purchased.

What are some of the promotions that you’ve done for the book that have been the most successful?
The Goodreads book giveaway was the best thing I have done so far. Over 1000 people requested it, which I was hoping for 200. I was very happy with that outcome.

What has frustrated you the most in putting this book together?
Since I am not an artist, the toughest part for me was finding an illustrator at a reasonable cost. I used freelancer.com to find my illustrator. Marketing the book is challenging as well.

What has pleasantly surprised you about the process?
The writing process has been what I have enjoyed the most. Thinking of ideas for the story, expanding on those ideas and trying to create the best work possible has been fun for me. Now that I understand the process a bit more, thinking of new titles and stories has been rewarding as well.

What advice would you give someone who wants to publish their own book?
The advice I would give would be to have as many people as possible honestly critique it. Have thick skin and do not get discouraged if people make negative comments.

What is the writing best advice you’ve been given?
To not be discouraged about the process no matter how daunting it may seem.

What message would you like parents and children to take away from this book?
For this book, All Day with Daddy, I wanted to stress the special bond between a father and a daughter --  even with Siena being an infant.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about this book and Kevin's future books go to: www.paduapublishing.com  or https://www.facebook.com/paduapublish...

No comments:

Post a Comment