Blog Archive

Friday, November 30, 2018

Playing with the Twelve Days: Author Interview with Patricia Kiyono



What inspired you to write your Christmas themed book?

Several years ago, I wrote a very short regency novella for a multi-author series with the theme “The Twelve Dukes of Christmas.” Each story had to contain a duke, as well as a scene at the Christmas Eve ball held at the estate of Lord and Lady Kringle. 

My contribution to that series was The Partridge and the Peartree, featuring Lady Amelia Partridge and Phillip Peartree, Duke of Bartlett. After a few years, I re-released the story along with a sequel, Two Tutor Doves, followed the next year by Three French Inns. So, continuing with that theme, Four Calling Bards came next.

Could you give me a short synopsis on the story for my readers?
Amanda Collins is the hard-working daughter of the village vicar. She’s caught off guard when three of the wealthiest men in the village suddenly become interested in courting her. Should she choose the Ethan, Lord of the Manor? Perhaps Mr. Henning, the village butcher? Mr. Sutton, the new doctor? Or could Andrew, the kind, but penniless young man working for her father possibly be the man for her?

What made you decide to do a Christmas themed book?
Christmas is my favorite holiday, and since I write sweet romances I find no shortage of ideas based on the universal theme of love and family during this special season. I’ve managed to write a Christmas themed story every year since 2012.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

Getting together with extended family is what makes the holiday special. My husband and I have five children, nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. It’s rare that we’re able to see everyone, but I think they all make an effort to be here for the Christmas holiday. 

We try to pick a date when most of them can come - especially the ones who live nearby - and we have a gift exchange and LOTS of food. Another favorite is performing holiday music. I play oboe and/or clarinet in a community band and two community orchestras, plus I’m occasionally contacted to play special music for a church service. Holiday music always lifts my spirits.

What’s next?
I’ve been working on a few projects. One, of course, is the next book in the historical Christmas series. The number five will be in the title, but I haven’t quite decided what it will be. I’m also working on a coming-of-age story about a Japanese couple whose families have arranged for them to marry. 

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
Get the words written, even if they’re rubbish. You can edit them later, but you can’t fix a blank page. 

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
Know your characters well. Know what makes them tick, what’s happened in their past, and what their weaknesses are. They might do unexpected things, but the way they act and react to the events in the story almost always depends on what’s happened to them before. 

There are so many resources available now for people who want to write. Find them, make connections, and tell your story! 

Don’t you just love Patricia’s catchy titles? I certainly do. Many others have enjoyed them, too. 

Two of her stories, “Searching for Lady Luck” and The Christmas Phoenix, placed in the Oklahoma Romance Writers International Digital Awards Contest. And if you’d like to know more about her books, here are some links to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment