Blog Archive

Friday, December 28, 2018

Another Worldly Christmas: An Author Interview with Nix Whittaker

How did you come up with the idea of your latest book?
Dimitri has been a prisoner for hundreds of years. The dragon hunter who frees him is little more than a morsel but he doesn't want to eat her as a snack, but he does want to devour her. Awkward after so many years enslaved, he has to find his voice to ask Charani to be more than just the woman who freed him.

What made you decide to do a Christmas themed book?
I started writing the story in October and wondered when to publish it. With Christmas was just around the corner, that seemed like the perfect time. Besides I love Christmas.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
Big family meals sans the drama. Though drama can be fun as well. We are from South Africa and we always bring out our South African food at Christmas time. Boerewors, Milktart and sosaties.

What’s next?
I’m busy with a mystery set in this world which will be published early next year called Lady Golden Hand. It is in its last edits. It’s time frame is about 80 years after this book and set in England instead of Eastern Europe. But it still has dragons.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
Read. You will learn more from other writers than you think. And from that practice. Write all the time. Even if it is only a sentence, get into the habit of writing every day.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
I wish I’d learned a lot more about the craft of writing. Mostly I’ve learned along the way and I wish I had known more before I wrote my first book. Now I just consider that my own university or course in writing. I’m super grateful to all the people online willing to share what they know about writing.

That’s all for today’s interview. Here are two options to learn more
If you want to pick up her collection of short stories in this world you can do that by signing up for her newsletter at www.nixwhittaker.com
https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Beyond-Compare-Christmas-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B077PRKJ37

No comments:

Post a Comment