Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Writing What You Enjoy Reading: An Interview with Author Tammy L. Grace

How did you come up with the idea of your Christmas themed book?
An encounter with a woman and her children whose car broke down during the holidays sparked the idea for A SEASON OF HOPE.  As a writer, it seems I’m always making up someone’s story and that’s exactly what I did with this woman.  The woman was stranded in my hometown for several months and I let my imagination run wild and created what I hope is a heartwarming and inspiring Christmas story.

Could you give me a short synopsis on the story for my readers?
When their car breaks down, Hope and her young son, Jake, are stranded in Silver Falls the week before Thanksgiving. A woman who runs a guesthouse offers them a place to stay for a few days. Frightened and broke, Hope finds a part-time job, thanks to the family who owns the guesthouse. Hidden beneath her strong work ethic and cheerful demeanor, Hope conceals a private mystery. A secret she can’t reveal.

As the Christmas season nears, the charming town and its annual holiday festival captivate Hope. She fantasizes about staying in Silver Falls, where life is idyllic. As she goes about her daily routine, the family at the guesthouse suspects there’s something she’s hiding. A SEASON OF HOPE is a charming story about the kindness of strangers and finding hope where you never expected it. I recommend it be read by a cozy fire with your favorite hot beverage.

What made you decide to do a Christmas themed book?
I’ve always loved Christmas.  I spend time reading Christmas stories and watching all the Hallmark Christmas Movies during the season.  I tend to write what I enjoy reading, so it seemed natural to create a holiday book.  I also write series, so it was very freeing to write a stand-alone book.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
One of my favorite traditions is my hometown’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony.  It’s a wonderful event filled with family and fun.  Caroling, cookies, hot chocolate, Santa, and fireworks accompany the actual lighting of the tree.  We even have a few snow machines around the venue in case we don’t have the real white stuff. 

I love baking cookies and making candy, and wrapping gifts for friends and family, but most of all I love the quiet of the season.  I enjoy the early mornings and evenings when I can sit and enjoy the lights of the tree and the magic of the season.  I incorporated several of these traditions in the fictional town of Silver Falls, where A SEASON OF HOPE takes place.

What’s next?
I have a new book, BEACH HAVEN, the first in my new GLASS BEACH COTTAGE SERIES released on November 15th.  It’s a women’s fiction series and a heartwarming story of a woman’s resilience buoyed by the bonds of friendship, an unexpected gift, and the joy she finds in helping others.   It’s set in the Pacific Northwest and features a woman named Lily, who is suffering from the loss of her husband and make a bold move across the country to escape the sad memories of his death.

You also write another series. Tell me about that. 
The COOPER HARRINGTON DETECTIVE NOVELS are a private detective/mystery series.  The first two books in that series won the Gold Medal for Mysteries in the Global EBook Awards in 2016 and 2017.  They feature Coop, a quirky lawyer turned private detective, and his faithful golden retriever, Gus, who solve whodunits with plenty of twists.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
I always recommend writers attend conferences.  I also think it’s best to attend those that offer a wide range of workshops, networking opportunities, and vendor interactions, but not too big that first-time attendees are overwhelmed or lost in the crowd.  It’s a great way to connect with other authors, improve your craft, and explore the latest trends in marketing and publishing. In a nutshell, my biggest tip is to practice continuous improvement and keep learning about the craft and the business.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
When I first started writing, I was reluctant to reach out to other authors. I’ve since discovered they are a warm and welcoming group.  It’s a solitary profession and connecting with others is one of the best things I’ve done.  I wish I’d done it sooner.

Any last words or tips?
If you’re a reader, authors really do love to hear from you and connect with you.  Nothing makes our day more than an email or comment from a reader telling us what they liked about our books and reviews are like sprinkles on cupcakes…the best!  Pick your favorite social media platform and connect with us.

That’s all for today’s interview. If you’d like to learn more about Tammy’s current and upcoming books, here are some links to get you started.


No comments:

Post a Comment