Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Finding the Clues to Writing Mysteries: Author Interview with Eleanor Kuhns


What made you decide to write mysteries?
I’ve always enjoyed reading mysteries going as far back as being a child. I love Agatha Christie for her plotting. For a long time, my favorite author was Anne Perry. And I’m a fan of Barbara Hambly, who writes fantasy, science fiction, and mystery. Of the newer writers, I love Amy Stewart’s books.

When you first started writing your first book, did you intend to make it into a series?
I did intend to write a series. As a librarian, I know people love them. After I finished the first book, I could see I had not finished Will Rees's story.

What made you choose writing about the Shaker community in the 1700s?
I wanted to write historicals. On the way to visit my mother in Maine, we stopped at the Shaker community of Sabbathday Lake. Three living Shakers still live there. That started it.

You’ve done seven books in the Will Rees series. Will there be more? 
Will Rees number 8 (A Circle of Dead Girls) comes out next March. I am working on book nine and have ideas for several more. I also want to write a murder mystery series set in the Bronze Age in Crete.

What makes for a successful mystery?
How do you plot out your storyline?
Every mystery I write is different. Sometimes I know who the murderer is and plot accordingly. Other times, I discover him or her as I write.


How much time daily do you have for writing? What is your writing routine?
I write every day, usually in the early morning. I never seem to have enough time!

What is the best advice you’ve been given or learned about writing?
My advice to young writers is don't give up. Not all of us publish in our twenties.

That’s all for today’s interview. If you’d like to learn more about Eleanor’s writing, here is the link to her website:
www.eleanor-kuhns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment