Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Saving your Story Ideas: Author Interview with June Esparza


What made you decide to write your series about tree seedlings?
I’ve always compared the analogy of trees and people.  It just made sense to me. Plus, as a young child, I loved to draw trees- and still do.

From the start, did you expect it to be a series?
I didn’t know it would be a series until I was in the middle of the first book. My imagination took off and I had developed so many characters I knew only one book wouldn’t do it justice.

Could you give my readers a short synopsis of the story?
The Trilogy is about five tiny seedlings (trees) born in the land of Etainia.  While very young a horrific storm came through the land and separated each one from their parents and each other.  The seedlings landed in five different territories and when they woke up they didn’t have a clue as to where their parents or siblings were. So…began the journey of self-discovery, trying to find family and purpose in their existence.

How long did it take you to write your first book? How many rewrites did you do on it?
Book One took a couple of years to write.  I’ve probably done at least 4 to 5 rewrites (at least) on my books. A family member and English teacher helped me edit my books. I have several friends and my family encouraged me along the way.

What made you decide to indie publish?
I self-published mainly because I knew I could do it and I wanted to maintain the essence of the stories.

What has been the most challenging part of putting together the book and doing the marketing?
The most challenging part of putting together the books has been during the re-writes…making sure I don’t lose some of the content.  Marketing hasn’t been a problem other than finding the time to do it.

What is the hardest part of writing for you?
The most difficult part of writing is time management.  In other words, with such detailed books, I prefer having a week at a time to write, versus a day here and there.  But, that’s not always possible. So I’m learning how to ‘seize’ the moment and write whenever possible.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Seeing and hearing about how people’s lives have been impacted for the good as a result of reading one of my books is the best encouragement I’ve received.

We have all experienced rejection. How have you learned to write past it?
Well, the rejection wasn’t from any of my books, but when in college (before I wrote the books)  I had an instructor tell me on one of my essays (with big red letters) that I couldn’t write. The words didn’t hurt…they just made me mad because I saw her cut down so many other students as well.  Yet, perhaps that inspired me.  I moved forward and wrote several self-help books and manuals that impacted many people’s lives.  So…I took the bad and turned it into good.

What has surprised/frustrated you the most in writing/publishing?
I was surprised at how much I love to write and realized that it was a gift I had as a young girl…being brought to fruition in my adult years. The frustration is mainly the discipline of sitting down and writing. Also, my books appeal to ages 8 to 88 and beyond. So, I’m learning how to appeal to each group.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
Well, the vast amount of help that is out there now has been a great help.  Also, I’ve learned to be wiser about advertising/marketing and how to go about it.  Not to waste so much time and effort appealing to audiences that aren’t’ interested in your subject matter.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
The best advice I was given by one of my Graphic Design Instructors in college (which I’ve used in writing) was simply this.  “Don’t just stare at a blank piece of paper. Draw something. (in this case write) Put anything down…words, pictures…anything – brainstorm and let it flow…then the ideas will come.” 

I carried that advice into my writing and I also teach that same idea at writer’s workshops I have designed and conducted. As a result, I also keep a shoebox for ‘creative ideas’ and collect them.  When I’m typing I just let my imagination go and don’t worry about the grammar being correct.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Don’t listen to the naysayers (and that includes your own ‘self-doubt’). Just go for it.  Get a pack of paper or go on your computer and start with what and who you know.  Write a short story first…write about what interests you.  Just start.  Do something.  Get what’s in your head onto paper or on record it and listen.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
Book Three, The Ancients is projected for 2020. It is an extension of Book I and II.  It will finalize for the reader what has happened to the Five Seedlings.  But, there are such strong characters (not just the seedlings) in the books that there will be many other books birthed out of the original trilogy.

That’s all for today’s interview. I hope this has piqued your interest in checking out June’s books. Here are some links to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment