Blog Archive

Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Child's Love of Poetry

I have been an avid reader all my life, but I am not one to hold on to books. I usually donate my books, once read, to my local library. For me to keep a book means it holds a place in my heart. That is the case with some of the books in my photo.

One of my favorite books is “A Child’s Garden of Verses” by Robert Louis Stevenson. I actually have two copies of this book. My mother gave one to me when I moved out on my own. This book had a lot of meaning to me as she read it to me many times when I was a child. Then I went on to read it for myself. This was a new copy, as the one she read to me as a child had disappeared.

When my parents unpacked after their next move it somehow showed up again. Now I had in my possession the actual one I read as a child. This was very special as I was not the only child to cherish that book. Another had read it many years before me. This book had an inscription lovingly written by my grandmother who had given it to my mother as one of her first books.

The verses may seem simplistic by today’s standards, but they still are precious to me. Here are a few from one of the poems in the book…

We may see how all things are,
Seas and cities, near and far,
And the flying fairies’ looks,
In the picture storybooks.

If you are unfamiliar with his works, here is a link to learn more about him, his life, and his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment