Blog Archive

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Yes, I am a Writer!

I do a lot of reading and research and at times, I feel I am a hamster on a spinning wheel. I feel I am going around in circles and getting nowhere. That’s when I remember a favorite phrase that keeps me focused, “Do the footwork and stay out of the results.”

This reminds me to do my part, keep at it, and let the results take care of themselves. This ties in nicely to an article I read in Writer’s Digest. Here is a short blurb from it that really caught my attention.

Take yourself seriously – Many beginning writers feel guilty about working so hard at something for which they haven’t been paid a cent. Immediate family members or friends may look on writing as a harmless little hobby, to be encouraged only when it doesn’t interfere with their own lives…You must emphatically demonstrate to yourself and to others that writing is a part of who you are, not just an amusing pastime. The measure of being a writer is not how much money you make, but how important writing is in your life.

This is part of the article entitled, The 10 Commandments of Fiction Writing. If you’d like to learn more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment