Monday, October 1, 2012
6 Ways to Discover Success
I've been in sales and marketing in some form or another most of my adult life. I've learned a lot from motivational speakers on selling but I've discovered that a lot of what I've been taught can also apply to writing which I would like to pass along now.
1. You Can't Please Everyone - No matter how good a salesperson you are or a writer, not everyone will like your work. Expect rejections they are a part of work. What is important is to do your best. Don't compromise your ethics. Only listen to objective criticism that builds you up and doesn't tear you down.
2. Get Rid of "Stinking Thinking" - Not everyone can be #1 but it doesn't mean that you still can't thrive & survive in writing. Remember, your beliefs create your reality. If you think you can't be successful, you won't be. But remember, it does take work. No one becomes a success by just dreaming about it. You need to act on it and be persistent.
“Success isn't measured by money or power or social rank. Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.” Or as Booker T. Washington said, "Success isn't measured by the position you reach in life: it's measured by the obstacles you overcome."
4. Stop Criticizing Yourself - When you beat yourself up, you will lower your self-esteem and feel empty. Think to the future and not your past failures. Remember what Scarlet O'Hara said, "After all tomorrow is another day." A new day is always a fresh start to begin again.
5. You are Unique and Something to Celebrate - Take time to stop and appreciate all the good and positive things you do both in and out of work. Get out of your inner shell and be of service to others. This will spark your energy level and open up your creativity.
6. Change the Channel - When those rejections come, don't wallow in them. Find something that will bring back your positive spirit - whether it's listening to some inspirational music, reading a devotional, or going for a walk or run.
Lastly, here's the lyrics by Johnny Diaz about being you as a positive thought...
There could never be a more beautiful you
Don't buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you
There could never be, a more beautiful you.
If you are not familiar with the song and would like to see the video click here