Blog Archive

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Writing from the Heart for Christmas: An Interview with Edward Reed

My Interview today is with Edward Reed, who is a multi-time winner of the Annual Faculty Poetry and Prose Writing Competition at Robeson Community College. While he was on the faculty he taught mathematics courses, but it was the cncouragement he received from the English department that got him writing. 

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas themed book?
A Prayer for Christmas like my other books is a gift. I write down what God whispers in my ear. And for this I want to say first and foremost I thank God for any talent or gifting I have been given to write.

My writing is my response to a world where virtue and values, traditions and faith are being challenged on every front.  A Prayer for Christmas is just that, a prayer for Christmas and the celebration of the single most significant event of all time.

A Prayer for Christmas was motivated by my heartfelt desire to share a story filled with goodness, hope and love which will touch hearts of all ages. It was a gift to me and now is a gift to those who read it.

Could you give me a short synopsis of the story for my readers?
A Prayer for Christmas is the story of the goodness which exists even in the coldest of hearts. It’s a glimpse into Millageville a town where faith and love and hope are as real as the struggle and hardships faced by those who live there. And it is about the Christmas that forever changed the lives of those who lived in the sad little town; the Turnberrys, the Hargetts, and the evil Moses Pennyweighter. In a word A Prayer for Christmas is a story of redemption.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
I cherish all things Christmas, the gift giving, fellowship and family, even the sweet, crisp smell of the air around Christmas time. It’s a perfect time for long walks, looking at beautiful lights and decorations, and most importantly for taking time out to be thankful for the gift given to each of us all those years ago.

What’s next?
Currently I have several books written and several in progress.  I am steadily writing and seem to have more stories than there is time to write them all down. I am thankful for this and for my ‘day job’ as a middle school teacher. I look for my next books to be out in 2018. There is still much for me to learn as I am new to the world of writing.

What is the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given that you would like to share?
Write from the heart. I have learned the importance of being true to the story and its characters. This is paramount. I feel my job as a writer is to tell the story and not make it up, even if it means going slow and rewriting and rewriting. Made up stories are never as good as honest ones.

What do you know about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
I have learned that writing is work, pure and simple, no magical process, and anyone can do it who wants to. All you need is pencil and paper. However, with no formal training in writing and having only three rather short self-published novels I will not pretend to be an expert on any of this ‘writing stuff.’ I am still learning.

Any last words or tips ?
If writing is your passion then write and don’t let anything or anyone stand in your way. This is advice I wish I had taken sooner. 

That’s all for today’s interview. If you would like to learn more about Edward’s writing, here are two links to get you started.

Website: www.edwardreedauthor.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/edwardreedauthor/

No comments:

Post a Comment