Blog Archive

Friday, December 7, 2018

Finding the Secret: Author Interview with Cherry Christensen


How did you come up with the idea of your Christmas themed book?
Secret Angel is set in Glen Arbor, my favorite town in Michigan. My family and I spent several summers vacationing in a cottage on Little Glen Lake, and I have many fond memories of my time spent there with friends and family. 

One summer, my cousin and I decorated the cottage for Christmas! We’d always dreamt of spending Christmas up north at the lake. Therefore, it seemed only natural for me to choose the area as the setting for a sweet, hometown Christmas story.

Could you give me a short synopsis on the story for my readers?
Doctoral student Hannah Wagganer entertains dreams of teaching at a large university and leaving her hometown of Glen Arbor behind. That is until Jasper Morgan, the new mail carrier, arrives in town. Not only does he set Hannah’s heart a flutter, but he has an instant bond with her cat, Jingles.

Preparing for the church candlelight Christmas Eve service and running the family store, Hannah continues to bump into Jasper—and the prying eyes of the locals who suspect there’s more going on than business as usual.

Blessings and suspicions abound when an anonymous donor pays to have the church furnace repaired, and other locals suddenly find solutions to their problems. Is it coincidental, or the work of a secret angel?

What made you decide to do a Christmas themed book?
I wrote a Christmas book because I love this time of year. Also, I wanted to write a book with faith-based characters and scripture that might touch someone’s life. One reader told me her faith was strengthened because of the Bible verses interlaced in my stories. It was a humbling experience for sure!

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
Every Christmas morning, my family gathers at my parents’ house for a big brunch. After everyone has stuffed themselves with eggs, bacon, sausage, homemade biscuits and gravy, and pancakes, we exchange gifts. Like clockwork, the cats attempt to swat ornaments off the tree, and roll around in the ripped wrapping paper, scattering it across the floor. And of course, my dad has plenty of his famous sour cream cookies on hand for all to enjoy!

What’s next? 
The sequel to Secret Angel released in February. It’s a Valentine’s Day-themed story called Secret Valentine that continues to follow Hannah and Jasper’s budding relationship. I’m currently writing a cozy mystery novel, which I hope will be released in 2019.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned you’d like to share?
Keep writing! An author wears many hats and it’s easy to get bogged down with other responsibilities. However, it’s essential to set aside time to write every day.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
I always enjoyed reading, but I hadn’t considered being an author. I wish I’d started writing and pursuing publication years ago. The main thing I’ve learned is that it’s never too late to chase your dream!

Any last words or tips?
I’d like to thank the wonderful readers for purchasing my books, encouraging me along the way, and for helping to spread the word about my writing. And thank you, Christine, for having me on your blog!

That’s all for today’s interview. Secret Angel was a Literary Lighthouse Award Finalist in 2017. If you’d like to learn more about Cherry’s writing, here are some links to get you started. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Christensen/e/B00QOB6Z0I
https://cherrychristensen.wordpress.com/ https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9872402.Cherry_Christensen
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/cherry-christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment