Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Believe in Yourself: Author Interview with Jackie Zack

You’ve now published five novels. Let’s start with my favorite title – An Irish Heart. What drew you to writing a novel with a setting in Ireland?
I’ve always been intrigued by Ireland and wanted to write a fun, exciting story that takes place there.

Have you visited or lived there?
I haven’t been to Ireland, but I did a lot of research. I googled Irish names, language, customs, and places. Pinterest really helped with pictures of people and places. I also used Google Maps. I absolutely loved doing the research. 

How long did it take you to write your first book? How many rewrites did you do on it? Who helped you with the editing?
The first book I wrote is Rafe’s Café. It took me nine months to write. I wrote it in omniscient point of view, not knowing that the publishing and writing world would rather see one point of view per scene.

I completely rewrote the story and submitted it in sections to the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) critique group. This took a year along with making edits from the critique group. Then Rafe’s Café was sent to an editing company where two editors gave input and more editing was done. 

What made you choose the indie-publish route?
By the time my book was ready for a publisher, an agent told me she liked my writing, but the publishers were only accepting historical romance or Amish fiction. She said she’d be happy to review any of that type of book from me.

I’m not wired to write either of those genres. I also didn’t feel right holding onto my manuscripts for years, waiting for a publisher to take a chance on my books. Seeing traditionally published authors start to go indie validated my decision.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Be true to yourself. Follow God’s leading. Be content with God’s timing.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Know the reason why you’re writing. It has to be a good one because ultimately writing is hard work.

Are there other books in the works?
Right now, I’m working on the sequel to Rafé’s Café. Rafé and Patty have been reunited, but Patty’s ex-boyfriend’s violent nature is becoming a tangible threat. Patty helps Rafé see that his dreams for his life aren’t totally lost. 


Rafé’s Café is a lighthearted, quirky read with loveable characters. All of the characters return for the second book where Patty and Rafé both realize their goals and dreams for their lives. I’m really excited to be working on this one!


That’s all for today’s interview. If you’d like to learn more about Jackie’s writing, here are some links to get you started.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...
Twitter: Jackie Zack@JackieZack1
GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jacki...

No comments:

Post a Comment