Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Writing Picture Books with a Message: Author Interview with Alicia Ortego

I ran across this author when I was researching comparative books to one I was pitching to an agent. She's an indie picture book author who has a  #1 best selling author in two categories that accurately depict her books. That's not easy to do. Read on to learn about her writing journey and what she does to get those rankings and book sales.

The publication date for your books shows the beginning of 2020, but when did you actually start writing? 
That’s a really good question! It all started so long ago, I can’t even remember when. Looking back, I realize that I have enjoyed writing since high school. But I never thought of it as something that I could do for a living. But at some point I decided to give it a shot and actually shared my writing with friends and family. They loved it.

Have there been books which were started and stopped along the way?
There were quite a few, but I might finish some of them. You know, sometimes you just feel that this is not the right time yet.

You are indie-published and you've done well. Prior to writing your books did you have a marketing we're publishing background?
Haha, no marketing background at all. Trust me, it took time to properly manage my Gmail inbox. I am still very new to all marketing-related activities. I do lots of self-education. Plus, I no longer do everything myself. I have a wonderful team who helps me with marketing and legal questions.

I'm impressed with the marketing you've done on your books with Amazon. Who is your marketing consultant that does your banner ads?
I work with Slickcolors.com publishing solutions to help me expand my brand awareness on Amazon.

You've written eight books that have been translated into multiple languages. Your first book Kindness Is My Superpower seems to be dominating your book sales. Why do you think that book is so popular?
This so far is my most favorite book as well. I guess it resonates with what people lack these days. Look around, kindness is being promoted by so many brands. You buy a hair conditioner and you see a slogan about kindness. You check anti-bullying campaigns and they encourage people to be more kind. In other words, it’s a trend.

What’s the hardest part for you in publishing and marketing your own books?
I am trying my best to become a part of a blogger community by collaborating with other bloggers. I have to say, this is not easy. No one wants to collaborate for free. Everyone wants money, like really big money. So far, this has been the most challenging part for me.


What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
I always know what I want my characters to be. But sometimes it’s really hard to put all my thoughts and ideas together to make a decent piece of writing. I always question my books: do they actually reflect what I am trying to say? Will kids learn from them?

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
The feedback I get from my readers. Trust me, those are not all bright stories. Some are really sad and people write me emails to share their life stories and how my books helped their kids. Sometimes I can’t stop crying for days. My readers share very personal stories with me. I am doing something meaningful. That’s very important to know.

We have all experienced rejection. How have you learned to write past it.
We all have good and bad days. Let’s say, I just know that good days always come after bad days. I try to consider this as a valuable experience. That’s it. No need to overthink it.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
You can be the most talented writer but there’s not much you can do without a good team by your side. You can’t and you shouldn’t do it all by yourself. Everyone has to do what they are good at.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Don’t stress over something that’s not worth it. Let’s say, you are upset because something. Ask yourself: Will that matter in a week? In 1 month? In 5 years? There you go;)

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Writing is a full-time job that requires hard work and dedication. Keep practicing.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
Love. I just want to say that it’s devoted to a boy that’s no longer with us. One day, I received an email from his mom sharing the story about her son. A very sad and touching story.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Alicia's books, and I hope you do, here are some links to get you started.
https://aliciaortego.com/blog/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyVqg5TSD-VYdGAYTZyt9bA
https://www.amazon.com/Alicia-Ortego/e/B08DRF83WX%3Fref

No comments:

Post a Comment