Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

It's Beginning to Read a Lot Like Christmas: Featuring Katherine Karrol

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
The idea for this story came in a flash. My mom told me about an interesting story she read, and I was so fascinated by one little tidbit in it that within 20 minutes, I had the story of Ava Barton’s visit to the small town of Hideaway in northern Michigan ready in my head. (If I tell what the story or tidbit were, I’ll ruin part of the book!)

When Ava and her son get into a minor car accident while they’re visiting the small town of Hideaway, it puts a wrench into her plans to get in and out of town quickly. Only she and her best friend know the reason for the visit, and she intends to keep it that way. The accident and her subsequent transportation-less state puts them in the company of the cop who is determined to find out what is at the heart of their visit, so he finds ways to spend plenty of time with them. Neither Ava nor Max are looking for love, but God delivers it anyway ~ it is a romance, after all! Stay for Love is the first book in the new Hearts of Summit Series, and it takes place between the week before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
I love everything about the Christmas season ~ which for me starts somewhere around September with Christmas books and movies. Decorating the tree with ornaments that have special memories, putting little Christmas touches all around the house, lots of baking and hot chocolate, the candlelight service at church . . . I could go on forever about my favorite things. There’s just such a feeling of warmth and coziness at this time of year!

What’s next in writing for you? 

The follow-up book to Stay for Love, which starts just after Christmas with a character from the first book in the series, is my almost-constant companion these days. The story is really fun, and I’m trying hard to get it ready for release in time for Christmas this year!

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
Focus on getting the books written above all else. I followed the advice to have at least a few books published before doing any marketing, and I’m so glad I did! I know that a lot of people disagree with that advice and focus on marketing right away, but if I would have done that early on, I never would have finished a book. By the time I started doing all of the non-writing tasks that we have to do, I was so in love with the writing itself (and my imaginary friends in the books) that nothing could have stopped me.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
I wish I would have planned out my first series better. I’ve been able to make some tweaks to the books to help with my lack of planning, but it’s not the same as knowing going in what book will be next.

Any last words or tips?

Keep your eyes on the “why” of writing. I started doing it completely on a lark, but I wanted to write the kind of books that I like to read ~ Christian romances that have some humor and snark, that aren’t preachy or heavy, and that give hope. We all desperately need escape right now, and I aim to provide it.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?
My first series, the Summit County Series, is set in the same world as Stay for Love and the Hearts of Summit Series. There are crossovers with some characters, so no matter which series is read first, there will be familiar faces in the next one.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Katherine's books, check out her Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Katherine-Karrol/e/B07H6WVTDT or you can sign up for her 
Newsletter: https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/s3y2v2

1 comment: