Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Challenges of Writing: Author Interview with Feather Chelle

What made you decide to start writing picture books? How long did it take for you to complete your first book? How many rewrites did you do?

I wrote my first picture book for my oldest son when he was a toddler, and it took me less than an hour to write. I didn’t publish it until he was turning nineteen, but he appreciated the gesture anyhow. I have enjoyed writing poetry since first grade, so I love the challenge of writing a rhyming picture book. I have never had to completely rewrite something, but I do read it through and make a few changes before I send it off to the editor.

Your bio states that you are blind. What software do you use to dictate your stories? 
I am soft-spoken and do not work well with dictation. I have a tablet with a Braille display that I can read. When I write on my phone, I use a Bluetooth keyboard to type faster. My iPhone has a screen reader, called Voiceover, that makes it accessible for visually impaired individuals.

Your books are indie published. How did you go about finding illustrators, cover designers, formatters, editors, etc.?
It has definitely been a trial and error process, and I have been burned a few times. After several years, I think I have finally built a stellar team. There are definitely some sharks out there that will try to get away with anything, if they think you may be an easy target though. I actually stopped telling people about my blindness until I built a rapport.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?

I struggle the most with illustrations because it is hard for other people to look at images and describe them in a way that tells me as much as I need to know about whether or not they match what I am trying to accomplish. It amazes me that I can show a picture to several people, and each person will say something completely different about it.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had for your writing?
I love getting feedback from kids because they are almost always honest, and their wording is generally priceless. When I get compliments from children, it means so much.

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?
Marketing is my arch nemesis. My brain goes fuzzy when I think of it. I have had some success from FreeBooksy promos and Itsy Bitsy Book Bits tours though.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had known to actually plan out a book launch in the beginning. It does give you a pretty good boost.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

You cannot please everyone, no matter how hard you try. Take the opinions of others into consideration for improving, but do not allow them to change your vision or discourage you from continuing along your path.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
If you become overwhelmed with a writing project, don’t be afraid to put it down for a while. You can always do something to relax, gain perspective, and get back to it.

Can you give me some details on 
the next book coming out?
I have a new picture book coming out on my birthday next month, May 16th. It is called People Safari. A raccoon guide, named Ranger Marco, takes an animal family into town to spy upon the peculiarities of humans. It will be my 8th published book, but I have dozens more in different stages of getting ready for publication. I am starting a crowdfunding project for illustrating another picture book series as well.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Feather's books, here are some links to get you started. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed at what this author has done not letting her handicap of blindness hold her back. I find the illustrations and marketing my two biggest problems also. And her advice of not trying to please everyone is right on! I sure hope this author continues on with her "dozens" of stories she has yet to publish! Thanks for this interview, Chris.

    ReplyDelete