Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Writing for Different Genres: Author Interview with Erin Greneaux

Your books have pictures but they're not picture books. They're longer, but they're not a middle grade novel. What made you decide to write in this middle ground? 

My daughters are 2, 4, and 6 years old. As they got older, I noticed that they were ready for more than picture books, but would get distracted during chapter books because of the few illustrations. That's when I decided to write short chapter books packed with meaning that also have full-color illustrations on every page spread. My girls love the story and illustrations. They are easy to break up and read one or two chapters at a time for my younger daughter or read all in one sitting with my older daughter. 

How many rewrites did you do for your series? 
The series currently has two books, but there will be eight in all once completed. The first book I wrote for the series, I ended up tossing entirely and starting over. The new version of book 1 had three major edits. From the beginning idea to the completed project, the first book took 14 months to complete, including illustrations, which took 6 months. I am an active member in hope*writers and love the writing community that I have discovered there. Those authors are a wealth of information and encouragement as well as great critique partners.
 
Your books are written in both English and Spanish. How did you go about putting together a second translation? Are you or a family member bilingual?
I have a degree in Latin American Studies and a minor in Spanish, and have always loved Latin American culture and language. I have a group of ladies at my church who have volunteered to translate the books in this series into Spanish because they believe in the message these books provide for girls. I am so blessed to have them!
 
How did you go about finding an illustrator?

I first discovered my illustrator when a friend of mine posted a painting that a friend of hers had made for her birthday. When I saw the painting, I knew I wanted that artist to be the illustrator on my project. We have worked together on several projects now, and she is amazing! I love how her artistic ability brings the story to life. She is originally from Ukraine, a talented self-taught artist, and works as an architect in Dallas.
 
What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
The hardest part is waiting for the illustrations. I get so excited when the story is finished, but have to wait to share it until the illustrations are complete. And I can't wait to see the artwork, either. It's like waiting for Christmas morning, and every time a new illustration is finished, it's like opening a present!
 
You also wrote a book about a topic that's very personal to you. It's one that deals with miscarriage and infertility. What made you want to open yourself up to write such a personal book?
I wrote the book that I wish I had when going through my miscarriage and infertility. I share the depths of grief and loss in a very personal way in that book to help others know that they aren't alone. But at the same time, I want them to know that this loss is not the end of their story, and that God can bring something beautiful from the darkest of seasons and losses. I hear from so many women about the healing they have found in the pages of that book, and that makes the raw, vulnerable parts of writing worthwhile.
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?

When the first book in this series was only available for preorder, I had shipped out my website orders a little early as a perk. That week at a library storytime, I saw a little girl wearing the necklace that goes with the book (it matches the one that the characters wear). My daughter saw it and went up to the girl and said, "My mommy wrote the book that goes with that necklace." The little girl grabbed her gold feather pendant and said, "This is my Gold Feather Gardener necklace! It means that I belong in the Enchanted Garden!" I had designed the necklace to hold a special symbolism of joining the family of God, but to see a child understand and embrace it so completely was a beautiful moment! 
 
What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
It takes a long time to gain an audience and traction. It takes an incredible amount of work to market a book and get it into the hands of readers. Writing a book is the easiest step in the process, and it is only the beginning. If I did it for any reason other than an absolute love of writing hope filled words for others, it wouldn't be worth it.
 
Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?
Word of mouth is always the best marketing. Finding true fans who see the vision for the books, fall in love with them, and share them with others is the key. I spend more time and resources engaging with one person at a time than I do with ads or social media. 
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

I have broken most of the writing rules. I don't "stay in my lane" but write in multiple genres for different audiences. I pour my heart into some projects that I know I'll only break even on. My advice is to write the message that is burning inside you, the one that keeps you awake at night until you pour the words onto the page. If you write that message, the marketing struggles and feedback ups and downs will never cause you to quit. 
 
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Writing is such a gift! I am constantly humbled that I get to do this, that God continues to give me words to share, and that I have incredible people to work with along the way. It is truly a blessing!
 
Tell me about your latest book
I just released two books last month- the first was a devotional, Sunday God Meets Monday Mom: 100 Devotions Connecting Faith and Life. The second was Book 2 in The Gold Feather Gardeners series, The Quill's Secret. It helps kids discover the true power of words to build up or destroy in a way that they can understand and apply. 

Book 3 in the series is in the illustration phase right now and releases in November 2023. It covers humility, and helps children understand the value of putting others ahead of yourself, as well as using gifts and talents to glorify God rather than ourselves. 

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Erin's books, here's how to do that...
Website: https://www.greneauxgardens.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greneauxgardens
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eringreneaux/
Weekly Devotional for Moms: 
https://eringreneaux.substack.com/
 
And here's a bonus for my readers...Leave a comment on this post and you'll be entered into a drawing to win a PDF of her latest devotional, Sunday God Meets Monday Mom: One winner will be chosen next Tuesday. So write that comment now!


No comments:

Post a Comment