Blog Archive

Friday, July 14, 2023

Writers Keep on Writing: Author Interview with Mary Alford

Amazon lists you as having 101 titles. That is amazing. How does it feel to be a full-time author?
I actually started writing full-time in 2014, right after my first Love Inspired Suspense was released. That was many books ago. I love being able to write full-time but there are times, even today, when it still doesn’t feel real. 

You are a hybrid author writing both for a traditional publisher and on your own. What made you decide to go indie? 
While I am blessed to be able to write for such wonderful traditional publishers such as Love Inspired Suspense, Revell, Annie’s, and Winged Publishing, I do love writing indie books because they allow me the freedom to write the stories that might not fit into a traditionally published world. I can set my own schedule and work around my traditionally published book deadline. 

How quickly do you write your books?
Depending on the length of a novel, (most of my indie stories are between 30-45K), I can normally rough draft a book in a month. Then, I do several rounds of edits myself before I send it off to a content editor who reads it and makes corrections. So, from creation to being ready to publish, it normally takes me about eight weeks. The hardest part of writing indie is managing everything myself. I do my own covers, marketing, and blurbs. 
        
How do you go about plotting your murder/suspense story?
It has been said, there are two types of authors. Those who plot and those who are called 'pantsers.' I fall into the pantser category because I’m not a detailed plotter. But I do plot. . .somewhat. When an idea first takes life, I rough draft it in my head before jotting the outline down on my laptop. Then I search for the perfect location for the story. Once I have an idea of what the story is about and its location, I am ready to begin. As the story comes to life, I usually find that the outline I start out thinking I’m writing isn’t the story that I end up with. The characters usually hijack the book and take it to where they want it to go. But I kind of love that.   
  
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
In the beginning, I was told by a publisher that they really liked my voice, but my story wasn’t quite right for them. That put me on cloud nine. Writing can be hard and breaking into the traditionally published world takes time. It took me ten years before I published my first book through Love Inspired Suspense. In the meantime, there were plenty of rejection letters. But writers keep writing and that’s what I did. I’d pick myself up and try again and it eventually happened for me.
  
Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used as an indie that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?
I’d say my best marketing tool is my newsletter. I send out 2 newsletters a month. I periodically send reminders out on social media for readers to join. I have almost 10,000 readers and they are very loyal to me. I also have been experimenting in doing launch teams for each new traditionally published book. I send out a call to join the launch team in my newsletter and on social media. The members of the group are then given copies of the book to read and review before release day. It’s been helpful in sales. 

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
The importance of networking with other authors in my genre. I’ve learned so much about the writing world through other authors and I have made some good friends because of it. I love those ladies, and I try to emulate their example by giving back to other authors.


What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
In the beginning I was told writers don’t give up. That’s always stuck with me throughout my career. There were times in the beginning when I wanted to give up. I’d stop for a day or two and then I’d start writing again because writers don’t give up.   

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Write what you love to read. When you’ve decided on a genre to write, read everything you can in that category, then branch out and read in other genres. Even if you aren’t interested in writing in a particular genre, it doesn't mean you can’t learn from the author. See what works for them and then develop your own voice. Good writers are voracious readers. 
  
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
Amish Country Ransom comes out August 22, 2023.

A winter storm turns a fight for justice into a struggle for survival…

After FBI agent Jade Powell’s sister is abducted, K-9 trainer Ethan Connors is determined to help the woman who once saved his life. But an enemy from Jade’s past will stop at nothing to keep his agenda hidden. With a storm brewing and a killer hunting them deep into Amish country, can Jade and Ethan survive the treacherous weather long enough to bring a criminal mastermind to justice?

That's all for today's interview. Hope you check out the many books Mary has written by using these links. 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MaryAlfordAuthor/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/maryalford13

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/mary-alford

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/maryalford

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/maryjalfordauthor/

And here's a bonus for my readers. Leave a comment on this post with your name. Next Friday we'll draw a name from all those entered and one lucky winner will get an eBook copy of Forgotten Past, book one of the Hope Island Securities series.

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive. I can’t imagine the hours of writing that Mary Alford has done. I agree. Authors don’t give up. Great encouragement to get back in the seat and keep writing. Judy watters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your positive attitude about writing!

    ReplyDelete