Blog Archive

Friday, September 8, 2023

Writing in Dual Genres: Author Interview with Anne M. Scott

According to your bio you are a 20 year Air Force veteran. So I'd like to start off by thanking you for your service. Writing romance books there's a lot different than being in the Air Force. What inspired you to write contemporary romance? How long did it take you to write your first book that was published?
My last years in the USAF were pretty stressful, so after I retired, I read a LOT of romance, making up for all the years I didn't have the time. I read really fast, and I was constantly searching for new authors. I came across a military romance, but after the first chapter, it was obvious the author hadn't ever spoken to a military member or even knew how to use Google. I thought I could do better, so I started writing. 
News flash, I couldn't do better. But, I really tried. Over the course of two years, I wrote eight romance novels--my very patient sister, Lia Huni, reading the first one over and over--and then got an idea for a science fiction novel. So I wrote that, publishing the first in 2015 as AM Scott. During the pandemic,I returned to the romance because I was again stressed, but now by volunteer work. I've been revising those old novels slowly and published the first last year.
 
As an indie author, did you personally design the full book, or did you have assistance with formatting, cover design, marketing etc.?
Early on, I was lucky to find a writing sprint group with two very talented hybrid authors; Lou Cadle and Eric T. Knight. They gave me a ton of great advice, one of those being good cover designers are worth it! My romance covers are by Mibl, and Deranged Doctor Design does my sci fi. Lou and Eric also helped me with formatting, which I do myself. I like being an indie author! I especially like setting my own deadlines, mostly so I can jump on important volunteer work when needed. I'm a volunteer leader with Team Rubicon Disaster Response.
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Shortly after I published my first three novels, a retired South African military member wrote me, saying how much he enjoyed my SF novels and that they reminded him of the early days of SF. Whenever I get discouraged, I think about that amazing email! 
 
Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
BookBub Featured Deals have always paid off if you can get them. Everything else has been iffy; I've never gotten Amazon ads to work for me. I am slowly finding a method that works for Facebook Ads, but it's been a struggle. I recommend Mal Cooper's book, My Facebook Ads Suck, Third Edition.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
How much administrative stuff there is! There's always new graphics to make, new ad copy to write, blog articles, websites, swag, etc. and all of it takes a ton of time!
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Eric and Lou both told me to write and edit three books before I published the first. I'd recommend, especially if you're writing in series, to write an entire series so you can release them regularly without any stress. I wish I'd written my whole series before publishing the first, because I'm a discovery writer, and there are things I would change if I could go back. But I can't, so I write on!
 
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Be careful about advice and great, time-limited offers. Look before you leap! There are plenty of scammers and ignorant people out there, so study what someone is saying carefully and see if it makes sense. Wait at least 24 hours before leaping on a great deal!
 
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
Saved by the Airman comes out September 26th! 
On a solo hiking trip, Master Sergeant Chris Hall finds an unconscious woman and her snarling dog. When weather moves in, Chris’s quick thinking saves their lives and sparks an instant attraction. Then he finds out the woman is Major Amy Stone; a relationship is impossible. 
But after their adventure, their connection grows, despite the risks of a forbidden relationship and the danger to their guarded emotions. When a threat from Amy’s past returns, not only are their hearts and careers in danger, but possibly their lives.
Saved by the Airman is part of the EVERYDAY HEROES shared world where every book comes with a swoon worthy hero, sweet heroine and a happy ever after that will leave you wanting more. Saved by the Everyday Hero, an anthology, is available now for just $0.99!

That's all for today's interview.
If you'd like to learn more about Anne's books, here are some links to get you started.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/annemscott_author/

And here's a special bonus for my readers... When you sign up for her newsletter you'll receive the prequel story for her series Bitterroot Montana Veterans series. Here's the link to do that: https://dl.bookfunnel.com/xe1pwd1ge9



No comments:

Post a Comment