Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Be Willing to Take Advice: Author Interview with Aviva Gittle

What made you decide to start writing picture books?

I wrote my first children's story in the mid-1990s, Chloe and the Belly Beast. I wrote a rhyming story, Mort the Fly in 2005. Through the years I read the stories to friends and family -- all gave positive responses. In 2012, I decided to publish both books. Without an editor! Fortunately my sister, an award-winning TV promotions writer, gave me real feedback. It was painful, it hurt my feelings, and thank goodness it did! This led me to hire an editor and start the real, hard process of becoming a children's book author.

What inspired you to write the Kitten and Friends series?
In trying to find an illustrator for Chloe and the Belly Beast (before my sister convinced me that it was not ready for publication), I saw a picture of a kitten and a butterfly in one artist's portfolio. It inspired me to write the first story in the Kitten and Friends series, Kitten & Butterfly. I wrote the remaining six stories in the series over the next few months. 
You publish as an indie author. How much of the book do you do yourself or hire others to do on your behalf?
As a former project manager, I felt I could hire and manage the talent needed to publish my books. I write the story, hire editors, illustrators, page designers, etc. through what is now Upwork.com. I have saved thousands of dollars by managing each book project myself.

You’ve got a YouTube video that’s very professional looking. How did that come about?

I've generated many YouTube videos, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to. The first video I made was very expensive. I hired an animator to take existing illustrations for the books I had created to date, along with a script that I wrote, to turn it into an animated marketing video. I hired professional voiceover actors and a sound engineer (who also wrote the original music) to complete the video. Ultimately, for various reasons, it was never used for marketing. It was an expensive lesson, but I learned a lot. (LINK TO https://youtu.be/94c7RoZebts) Later, I created simple marketing videos through Animoto.com. 
What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
For me, having my stories translated from English to Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and I was fearful of generating a Spanish-language book that sounded like it was poorly translated from English. I had multiple translators review the translation and provide feedback. One was Mariana Llanos, one of the great bilingual children's book writers. (Please link to Mariana's author page: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Mariana-Llanos/author/B00CFVV3P8)
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
My personal favorite was a review for Bagel Boy where the mother said while reading the book to her child, he wondered if he could turn into mac and cheese (his fave food). The mom said, yes, it could happen. At dinner time her son decided it was time to try something new to eat. My book's overarching message was received!

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?

Over a decade, I’ve learned you must use a multi-pronged strategy and consistently market each day. Automate where possible (such as setting up an Amazon, Google, or Facebook campaign). What works changes constantly. You must track results. It seems that successful indie authors go local. They do book signings in local stores and readings in local libraries. They get interviewed in local papers and on local TV. There is no magic formula -- and the formula changes constantly.
What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
That I likely would have had more commercial success if I had published just the first Kitten and Friends book and marketed it like crazy. I spent way too much time and money trying to publish too many books. Unfortunately, the marketing avenues available to me back in 2013 are saturated now. I missed the momentum.
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
You must use an editor. You don't have to agree with or follow all their recommendations. Set your pride aside and consider their advice. The best lines in my books came from my editor, Sara Dean. I initially hated what she did to Bagel Boy. I waited a few days and looked at her edits again. Thank goodness I listened. It's a much better book because I did.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?

Not about writing, but about publishing. Don't be in a hurry to publish. Don’t use lack of funds as an excuse for publishing a lackluster book. Can't afford an editor? Forgo the pizza, cigarettes, and lattes for 6 months and save up for one. Same with illustrations. If you want honest, free feedback on your self-published children's picture book or manuscript, read my FAQ page to learn more. (LINK TO https://gotogittle.com/free-kids-book-reviews/)
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details? 
Not sure. I plan to eventually publish Kitten & Kin and Kitten & Monkey. Just not satisfied with them yet. I'm now working on a middle-grade novel. I've never written anything beyond 1200 words, so it's quite daunting. But I have many great books already published. My fave Kitten and Friends book is Kitten & Snake. Out of my other books, Bagel Boy is a fave.
That's all for today's insightful interview. If you'd like to learn more about Aviva's books and writing tips, here are some links to get you started.
Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Aviva-Gittle/author/B00E6HMG96
Website:  https://gotogittle.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AvivaGittlePublishing
LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gittlepublishing/
Request for free review:https://gotogittle.com/free-kids-book-reviews/ 
And here's a bonus for my readers... Leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of one of Aviva's eBooks, Kitten & Butterfly. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll choose a winner next Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this was super informative. I appreciate Aviva sharing her process in such detail; the marketing tips and money-saving advice are of great benefit to writers like me who are just starting out. Thanks for this interview - those book covers are adorable!

    ReplyDelete