Blog Archive

Friday, January 26, 2024

Writing with Purpose: Author Interview with Joi Copeland

What made you decide to write your first novel? 

When my family first moved to Colorado, I was homeschooling my kids and working at Old Navy. I had a lot of free time on my hands since we lived with my sister and brother-in-law and their two sons. My husband, sister, and brother-in-law suggested I start writing since I’ve always wanted to be an author. It was a contemporary book that I first wrote and continued in that genre for several years. Then I started writing historical.

It’s actually a funny story why I started writing historical books. My first one was A Christmas Home for Hannah. I was asked to join a multiple authors project. I researched the topic and wrote the book. When it published, I decided I’d never write historical again because I don’t enjoy research. Then I received several emails asking me when my next book would be available! 😊

You’re an indie author, which means you’re in charge of everything from writing to publishing and marketing. Other than writing, what other parts of the process do you personally do or hire others to do?
I’ve hired out the cover artist and editing. Other than that, I do the marketing and publishing. Soon, my husband will start doing the covers.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?

The best encouragement I’ve had is that my books draw others closer to the Lord. That’s my goal for writing. To draw others to Him and encourage them in their faith.

Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
Newsletter swaps with other authors. That has been a huge blessing in the marketing area.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
Writing is more than writing. There’s marketing, promoting, researching, learning about the craft of all of those areas. It’s a lot of work. But so worth it!

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Have a newsletter, a website, and a mentor. All three are important!

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Writing is a joy! I absolutely love it! I’m so thankful to my author friends and readers who encourage and challenge me.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

A Match for Malachi comes out March 1st. Malachi seeks the help of a matchmaker, who winds up matching him with someone who appears to be all wrong for him and he wrong for her.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Joi's books, here are some links to get you started. 
https://www.instagram.com/booksbyjoi/
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Joi-Copeland/author/B005IH4T5C
https://joicopeland.com/

And here's a bonus for my readers. Leave a comment on this post and you'll be entered to win and you'll be entered in the giveaway for a free eBook of 
A Match for Lief. One winner will be chosen next Friday. So write that comment now!

No comments:

Post a Comment