Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

The Business of Writing Books: Author Interview with Picture Book Author, Andrea Coke

You’ve now published three picture books, but what made you decide to start writing the first one?

During the lockdown, this crazy, impossible to accomplish idea popped into my head - attack my "someday, maybe" list. 
We all have one. That list of things you know you want to accomplish but have put off way too long. I call it the “Someday, Maybe” list.

I obsessed about all the things I regretted not doing. So I dusted off some old journals and Molly Morningstar, A Doll for Me was born. My daughter inspired this story. When she said to me “I wish I had a doll that looks like me.”, it broke my heart.

This story was my way of honouring those who’ve been underrepresented in children’s literature.

You publish as an indie author, but you’re not an illustrator. How did you go about finding an illustrator? What advice can you give in going through that process.
Finding an illustrator can be difficult but it’s something you want to get right. Do your research - read lots of children’s books to see what style of illustration appeals to you. Before I consider an illustrator for a project, I buy a copy of a book they’ve previously illustrated to see how they interpreted the author’s story. Are the illustrations flat? Do they show nuance, feeling, emotion? A single sketch only tells me one thing.

Whether your illustrator is new or experienced, you need to develop a relationship with them, have an explicit contract and treat the experience as something you both want to see succeed professionally.

When I saw the artwork of M. Fernanda Orozco, my illustrator, for my Molly Morningstar series, I followed her on social media. I knew right away that her style was what I was looking for. I told her that one day, I hoped to work with her. When my manuscript was ready, I reached out. And because we had a relationship, I trusted her ‘to tell’ my story.

One of your books, Molly on Ice was included in Canadian Children's Book Centre's newest edition of the Best Books for Kids & Teens. How did that come about? 
Early in the year, I submitted copies of my story for consideration to the Canadian Children’s Book Centre (CCBC). They informed me in November that Molly on Ice was selected for inclusion in their magazine. The selection committee, which is made up of educators, booksellers and librarians from across Canada, handpicks new books they think will appeal to children. As a new author, it was an honour to have my book included with other great Canadian books.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I understood how important and intense marketing is. Writing the story is the easy part. Getting people to know about your book, otherwise known as marketing, is the hardest part. Late nights, lots of tea, expensive mistakes and a steep learning curve - that has been my experience. Don’t believe anyone who says self-publishing is the ‘easy’ way. It’s a business, your business, and you need to treat it as such.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Know your ideal reader. A mistake many self-published authors make is thinking their book is for everyone. It’s not. Focus your marketing efforts on who the book is for.

Find those in the author community who can help mentor you. Join author groups and writing communities. But weigh the information you receive - someone who hasn’t sold any books may not have the best advice for marketing. Finding people who don’t just make promises but actually show you the steps to achieve what you want, is priceless.

Laurie Wright is a children’s book author and marketing expert. She advised me to stop searching ‘how to sell your book’ and instead develop a marketing strategy to make my book brand stand out and attract my perfect readers. No more ‘Google University,’ as she calls it. I’m grateful for her advice.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Let’s start with the truth: I had no business publishing a book, yet I did. I’m an educator, speech pathologist, wife, busy mom of four - what did I know about setting up a website, uploading books to online platforms, etc? Nothing.

I can’t explain how my debut book won an award for best picture book. And was named one of Kirkus Reviews best Indie books of 2022. All I know is that being an award-winning author was impossible, until it wasn’t. I know it sounds cliche but here’s the truth: we have the potential to achieve what doesn’t seem possible.

As an author, you don’t need to follow every publishing trend or gimmick. You are the only one who can tell your stories. My journey, timelines and achievements might look different than others – and that’s okay! The best gift you can give yourself as an author is to stop comparing yourself to others. Learn from them but don’t copy them. Be yourself. That’s where success starts.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details? 

Three more books in the Molly Morningstar series are planned. Book 4, Music Show Surprise, is coming in spring. When Papa’s big day arrives, Molly Morningstar takes charge, creating surprises and laughter at every turn. My awesome illustrator is currently doing her magic with the illustrations. We’ll release the remaining books next year.

I’m also very excited about a new project under development. It’s a picture book that’s more than just a story —it's a fun intro into the magic of music, the wonders of STEM, and the richness of Caribbean culture. I can’t wait to share more!

That's all for today's interview. I can relate to so many of the comments Andrea made in this interview that fit in my own writing life. Thank you for your honest assessment. I think you made a great choice in your illustrator, too. Writing is a business and you constantly need to adapt to how to pursue it. 

I hope you'll check out Andrea's links, which I've included below.

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive an ebook copy of 
Molly on Ice, a fun story that helps children learn that making mistakes is okay. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Great advice for new authors. After writing my first and stand-alone book I am ready to start writing children's' books, a desire I have had for some time and a genre that hasn't been touched much. Thank you

    ReplyDelete