Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Celebrating the Release of a New Picture Book

I had hoped to have this book ready to go prior to Easter, but as the old adage says some of the best laid plans often go awry. That was certainly the case with this book. And I definitely learned the importance of having someone review the story both for the pictures and the text. One of my editors pointed out that one page had the wrong text to go with it. Thanks to computers, making that kind of change is relatively easy.

My big problem in publishing picture books is that I tend to be a perfectionist. I'm constantly tweaking either the text or the pictures. That means by the time I'm finally ready to upload the story to Amazon I have multiple copies in various stages. So I don't get them confused, right before I add that final version to Amazon, I delete the majority of them so that I'm not uploading the wrong edition.

After putting together four picture books I think I'm finally learning that everything will take longer than expected. So for my next book I'm going to plan waaay in advance. By doing that, I'll have less stress and enjoy the process and keep it fun to do.

Now let me tell you about the story. The idea came about when I was teaching Sunday school classes to middle graders.  Many of them, like Angie in this book, didn't see the need to memorize Bible verses. They thought it wasn't necessary because Bibles were readily available. 

Short of giving them prizes or candy for learning them I had to come up with other creative ideas. One of them was explaining how you need to know sports plays in advance, so you'd know what to do when you're trying to win a game. But the best reason for memorizing verses is they will be in your mind when you need encouragement or you’re going through a crisis.


This book, as well as my other books for childrean are available in eBook format for tablets and phones and paperback versions. This book also includes  bonus coloring pages and mazes. 

I have opted not to do a hardcover version at this time as it’s too costly for many readers. Hope you pick up a copy of this new book and check out my other books as well on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment