Blog Archive

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Writing Niches in Time: Author Interview with Anne Perreault

You’ve now published several books, but what inspired you to write that first one? How long did it take you to write your first book that was published? You write both historical and contemporary romance? Which is easier or more enjoyable to write?

My first book was a story that had been part of my life for about 30 years, give or take. I had used it to escape reality when things were tough. Since I'm a Christian, I thoroughly believe in the power of God and hearing His voice in our heart. I was sitting in the library, finishing a book I had written for my daughter. That had taken 12 years to write and it won't be published. It was practice. I recall thinking how much fun it was to write this story and I asked, kind of in a prayer, Now what, God? 

I certainly didn't expect to hear back. And when the response came, it was to my heart. The response was, Write the story. Since I knew exactly which story was implicated I pretended I hadn't heard or that it was a mistake. But I couldn't get over it. So, over the next few months, I really made sure that I had heard correctly and that it wasn't something I was making up on my own. 

It became pretty clear that I was to write this story that had been with me for most of my life and so I finally relented. It only took me a month to write book 1. The rest of this 5 book series took another two month. Rewriting and editing and waiting for it to be published took about three years. My first book, Skating for Grace, was published in 2015.

I write anything that comes to my attention. I enjoy writing historical fiction. I love history. I find it is super hard to write. You really need to do a ton of research and things might not fit well with how you had envisioned the story going. My favorite historical fiction book to write was Defending My Father's House, a WWII fiction based on my family history.

How do you choose a time period? 
I don't chose a time period per se. The story finds me and I fit it into a setting that is appropriate for the characters and the challenges they face. I do enjoy doing the research for the historical fiction books. I am a very visual learner and have found YouTube to be a treasure trove of information.

What’s one of the most unique facts you’ve discovered in doing your research?
The most interesting story I came across while researching for Defending My Father's House was the story of Operation Cowboy. I didn't end up using it for this book because it didn't quite fit in the way the story unfolded. Operation Cowboy was basically the operation that rescued the famous Lipizzaner horses from being eradicated by the Russian army at the end of WWII, during the last days of fighting. 

Patton's army managed to help get the invaluable mares, foals, and stallions that had been sent to the country for protection during the war, out of the grasps of the Red Army as they came into the town of Hochstau where the herd had been hidden during the war. It was a daring and dangerous adventure. It was a collaboration between the defeated German forces in the area and the Americans. As a horse lover, I was completely taken in by it. I'm kind of sad it never made it into the book or didn't become part of the story.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?

I've been so blessed to have a group of amazing authors and readers surround me. I couldn't do this without them keeping me from dipping down into despair that comes with the territory. Being an author is probably the most difficult endeavor I have undertaken. So, I would say that the most valuable advice anyone has ever given me is to find my support group with other authors. It's incredibly important for my own mental health.

Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I struggle with marketing. I haven't found that sweet spot yet. I find that even when I think I might have found something, it isn't a sure thing. I've run paid promos that have worked beautifully. And then suddenly, out of the blue, they stop working. It's super frustrating and I have no idea what to do about it.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
It's not about going it alone, doing all the work myself. Yes, I have to do most of the work myself because I can't afford to pay for services. But... gather I've gathered a team around me and it works like clockwork. It's beautiful and powerful and humbling. I'm not the end-all of that team. It's all of us, working toward the goal.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

I think the best advice I've received is to be encouraging to others. It's not about me. It's always about the reader and about the story. Yes, I write how I want the story to go, but in the end, the reader has to be willing to read it. And if I keep in mind that I'm going to bless that readers with the words I write, that I'll build them up by writing certain things, it's another humbling process.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
Dare to Dream, book 2 in Arabian Nights, just came out May 31.

Tradition will destroy her future.
The past threatens their dreams.
Until they are willing to surrender all.

Fatima Sayeed’s troubled, dark past is now firmly behind her, and new challenges are on the horizon. Soon, she and her best friend Amira will graduate from university and pursue their careers. And Zahir, the good and kind man she has come to love with all her heart, seems to be on the verge of proposing marriage. But all of these new changes are overshadowed by old doubts and fears. Is she enough to be Zahir’s wife? She’s failed once already. What if moving forward ruins everything they’ve built?

Smart, successful, and determined, Amira is one of only a handful of women to ever graduate with a degree in her field. That alone ought to be enough for her, but somehow, it isn’t. She admires the tender affection between her friend Fatima and her brother Zahir, but that sort of thing isn’t something an independent woman like her needs. Or . . . is it?

Zahir is set on proposing to Fatima and eager to start their married life together. He dreams of having children and growing old with her, but a nagging dark feeling has him on edge. When he finds himself between a rock and a hard place, he is forced to make a choice with devastating consequences.

In this time of change and upheaval, relationships will be tested, and hearts will be put on the line, hard questions will demand answers. Will bitterness keep Amira from seeing the truth about herself? Is Fatima strong enough to face her fears? Can Zahir accept that not all his dreams will come true?

Sounds intriguing! If you'd like to learn more about Anne's many books, here's a link that will give you all her details from current and upcoming books, facebook updates, newsletters, and much more. https://linktr.ee/anneperreault

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of one of  Anne's eBook, Defending My Father's House So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner a week from today!

1 comment:

  1. I have this in ebook form already, but if it’s for the book, please sign me up for the drawing!! Thank you! Anne is a beautiful person, author, ✍️ and Christian friend!! ✍️📚📚🙏🙏♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete