Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Keep a Notebook Handy: Author Interview with Monika Polefka-Proulx

You’ve now published multiple books, some for adults and some for children. What inspired you to write books for children?

I've always loved reading, and I genuinely feel children need good books that not only entertain, but also encourage empathy, values, adventure, and love. A good children's book nurtures a love of reading, and in turn a love of learning.
 
Even as a child, I made up stories. Thankfully, I now have the joy of sharing stories with people around the world. I love writing. When I write for adults, I write with themes centered around personal growth and resilience, and when I write for children, I try to teach them lessons about being a good human being.
 
You are an indie author. Other than writing, what other parts of the process do you personally do? What do you hire others to do?
i do it all. I write, create the covers, interior design, market, and upload the books to print on demand platforms for distribution. I love the whole process of turning a manuscript into a physical book and eBook.
 
I also offer my services to other authors who are new to the process or those who want to focus on writing. It is an immense pleasure to work with other authors and help them bring their stories to life.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?

When I wrote my first book, No Matter What – How Far Would You Go to Save Your Child? I didn’t know anything about publishing. I just knew other parents needed to read my family’s story so that they wouldn’t feel alone. So I jumped in. Fortunately, I connected with a fantastic publisher who guided me and taught me everything I needed to know.
 
At the time, I thought writing the book would be the tough part, and it was, but what authors often don’t understand is that writing is only the beginning. I didn’t understand the importance of connecting with my audience, staying engaged, and being active on social media. If I was starting today, it would be a different story. I encourage all authors to do the following:
1. Know your audience
2. Connect with them regularly
3. Always have books with you
4. Post regularly 
5. Don't get discouraged, it takes perseverance. 
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

The best writing advice I can give is always to be prepared. Keep a notebook handy, be aware of your surroundings, and jot down all ideas that come to you. You never know when magic will strike, so be observant and enjoy the beauty of life.A

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
I would advise authors to write a strong outline. It makes a huge difference when you have a roadmap, especially when an author experiences writer’s block. Having a solid outline keeps your writing moving forward.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
My next book is a fun little project I’ve been working on. It is called Animal Adventures and is a coloring book with A-Z fun and interesting facts about animals. I wanted to create a book with pages for children to color so they could get involved with the story.
Here's the synopsis: Embark on a colorful adventure through the animal kingdom! From alligators to zebras, this A to Z coloring book is packed with fun, friendly animals for kids to bring to life. With each page, young artists can explore new creatures while learning interesting animal facts. Perfect for kids who love to color, discover, and imagine!
Sounds like fun! That's all for today's interview. If you  would like to learn more about Monika's books, here is how you can get you started. 
And here's a bonus for my readers... L
eave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a pdf copy of one of  Monica's 
books. You'll have a choice of the Barky Birds story on the top of this post or the one to the right of this paragraph. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Wednesday!
But that's not all... If you're a writer, Monica is offering an assortment of free writing guides on her site. Here's the link to learn ways to improve your writing and marketing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment