First off, tell my readers your book title, the genre for your book and the time frame it takes place?
Hi, thanks for having me. My book is called The Enemy’s Sister. It’s inspirational historical romance and takes place in 1795 and 1820, when our fictional town of Cedarfontein is just being established and the British take South Africa from the Dutch. It’s very much frontier romance South African style!
Give my readers a short book blurb about your story and characters.
The Enemy’s Sister: a shipwreck, a soldier, and holding onto faith at Our House on Jakaranda Laan.
The Enemy’s Sister: a shipwreck, a soldier, and holding onto faith at Our House on Jakaranda Laan.
John Beauchamp learned a lot of things in the army. Falling in love with the enemy’s sister wasn’t one of them.
Anneke Terblanche just wants someone to love her enough to stay, if only her heart hadn’t fallen for a soldier who has to leave.
Will Anneke and John leave their hearts behind on that fateful South African beach, or does God have another plan for this war-torn soldier and his faithful frontier girl?
What inspired you to write this story?
I never would have dreamed of writing a story set in South Africa until Anna Jensen invited me to join the Our House series on Jakaranda Laan.
I usually write books set in England during the Georgian Era. I didn’t know much about South Africa, or what I could write about. But low and behold, I discovered that the 1790s is when the British first came to power in South Africa, and I immediately knew I could write a story about a soldier who ends up falling in love while on campaign, with the enemy’s sister no less!
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
When God gives me the answers I’ve spent years trying to work out. And it’s probably because I have a deadline and therefore I devote more time and energy into working out issues I usually sweep under the rug of ‘that’s too hard’.
It can get tense sometimes as the deadline looms, but God is teaching me a lot about trust and learning to hear when He speaks to me and not my fear talking.
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Don’t rush it. Your first few books probably aren’t as good as you think they are. Get feedback from people who aren’t just trying to say nice things to you. Someone who can really tell you what your book needs, but also someone who knows that a newbie author doesn’t have thick skin yet.
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Learn to pray a lot more! Writing goes so much easier when God is sitting next to you.
What other books do you have in the works?
In The Enemy’s Sister, John mentions that a Scottish fellow has fallen in love with his oldest sister back home in England, but something is preventing them from admitting how much they love each other. That’s the story I hope to write next! A Scottish hero visiting London in 1795 and an old maid in her thirties who has given up on her happily-ever-after because of how society views her younger sister who has Down Syndrome.
That's all for today's interview. To learn more about Dienece's books, review these links.
I usually write books set in England during the Georgian Era. I didn’t know much about South Africa, or what I could write about. But low and behold, I discovered that the 1790s is when the British first came to power in South Africa, and I immediately knew I could write a story about a soldier who ends up falling in love while on campaign, with the enemy’s sister no less!
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
When God gives me the answers I’ve spent years trying to work out. And it’s probably because I have a deadline and therefore I devote more time and energy into working out issues I usually sweep under the rug of ‘that’s too hard’.
It can get tense sometimes as the deadline looms, but God is teaching me a lot about trust and learning to hear when He speaks to me and not my fear talking.
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Don’t rush it. Your first few books probably aren’t as good as you think they are. Get feedback from people who aren’t just trying to say nice things to you. Someone who can really tell you what your book needs, but also someone who knows that a newbie author doesn’t have thick skin yet.
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Learn to pray a lot more! Writing goes so much easier when God is sitting next to you.
What other books do you have in the works?
In The Enemy’s Sister, John mentions that a Scottish fellow has fallen in love with his oldest sister back home in England, but something is preventing them from admitting how much they love each other. That’s the story I hope to write next! A Scottish hero visiting London in 1795 and an old maid in her thirties who has given up on her happily-ever-after because of how society views her younger sister who has Down Syndrome.
That's all for today's interview. To learn more about Dienece's books, review these links.
Website: www.dienecedarling.com Provides all her social media and where to find her books, devotional blogs, and her newsletter where you can get a free eBook by signing up.
Special Bonus: Here's an August 99c special for an eBook that's about the cousin of my hero in The Enemy’s Sister It's called A Heart to Treasure https://books2read.com/ahearttotreasure
Special Bonus: Here's an August 99c special for an eBook that's about the cousin of my hero in The Enemy’s Sister It's called A Heart to Treasure https://books2read.com/ahearttotreasure
Our House Series - New Book Link: The Enemy’s Sister: https://books2read.com/the-enemys-sister
And here's a special bonus...Get a FREE eBook as part of this series. It's a cookbook that features recipes of some of the characters in the Our House series and introduces you to each of them. https://dl.bookfunnel.com/6i3sifi9ss
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment