Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Giving You That Christmas Feeling: An Interview with Alys Murray

How did you come up with the idea of your Christmas themed book?
The Christmas Company had so many inspirations, but the main one came from the almost-love story between Scrooge and Belle in the original Christmas Carol story. 


I loved the idea of a man who everyone thinks is irredeemable actually being transformed through the power of love, so I thought I would combine all of that and write a modern love story inspired by all of those festive feels that the original Christmas Carol gave me.

Could you give me a short synopsis on the story for my readers?
The small town of Miller's Point is known across the country for their annual Dickensian Christmas festival. When the festival is threatened by Clark Woodward, a miserly, big-city businessman, Kate Buckner steps up to save her hometown, their traditions, and her favorite holiday. Along the way, she realizes the man she's trying to protect her town from might need some rescuing of his own.

What made you decide to do a Christmas themed book?
At the time I wrote The Christmas Company, I was in a bit of a sad place in my life, and I wanted to write something that gave me that “Christmas Feeling,” that I get during the holidays. So, I wrote a Christmas-themed book so that every time I sat down to write, I was injected with the Christmas Spirit and cheered up!

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

My family has so many Christmas traditions, so this is a hard question! As it relates to The Christmas Company, every year my dad sets out a small, porcelain Dicken’s village in our front hallway, and as soon as I see that, I know it’s Christmas time! I also love taking light tours around town with my family and our family Christmas movie nights!


What’s next? 
In 2019, I’ll be releasing the first book in a new novella series from The Wild Rose Press, and it’s called Tea and a Cowboy. I’ll also be releasing my first book from Entangled Press, which is called Society Girl.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
The best writing tip I have ever been offered is to follow the love! If you’re energized by an idea or something in your work, pursue that idea because if it excites you, that joy will resonate through the work and you’ll find readers who love it too!

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
There’s a lot of waiting! I’m a terribly nervous person, so learning I had to be patient and wait to hear from publishers, my agent, and even readers was definitely something I had to contend with.

Any last words or tips?
If I may quote from my favorite version of The Christmas Carol, The Muppets Christmas Carol, “It’s true. Wherever you find love, it feels like Christmas!” So, have a happy holiday and carry that spirit in your heart all year round!

Thanks all for this interview. If you’d like to learn more about Alys’s books, here are some ways to get you connected.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/writeralys
Instagram: writeralys
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alysmurrayauthor
Website: http://www.alysmurray.com

No comments:

Post a Comment