Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Writing with Emotion: Author Interview with Janice Lynn

I'm not ready to say goodbye to the Christmas spirit, so I'm sharing one more Christmas book interview with you from someone who loves to write them. So grab some hot cocoa or your favorite beverage and relax with this short but
meaningful interview.

Today's interview is with Janice Lynn who has won numerous awards including the National Readers Choice Award, The Golden Quill, the Holt Medallion Award of Merit, and RT Book Club's The American Title Contest. She has also finaled in prestigious contests such as The Golden Heart, Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence, and Book Buyers Best.

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? 

For some time I have been wanting to spread my wings as a writer and push myself outside my comfort zone, to write a story that moved people, and brought my writing to another level. When I was writing my Hallmark proposal, I kept asking myself what signifies Hallmark. I kept coming back to the emotion. Whether through a card, movie, gift, or book, Hallmark makes people feel better. When I thought of things that make me feel better, quilts immediately came to mind.

Enjoying quilts is in my genes as I come from a long line of quilters--my mom, grandmas, and great-grandmas. I have a special quilt that my great-grandmother made for my grandparents. It's made from cut up pieces of outgrown clothes and a bed sheet and is over 60 years old. When I touch that quilt, or wrap it around me, it makes me smile and fills me with memories of my great-grandmother and her love for her family. So, I wrote a story about a quilt.

The military was heavy on my mind as my son was in the process of joining the Army National Guard. Over my years as a nurse practitioner I've cared for many wonderful servicemen and women and veterans. I've watched their pride in having served, their heroism, their sacrifices, their highs and their lows, especially as they transition into civilian life.

A few in particular stand out as ones I worried about and gave extra care to due to their level of PTSD. I've always known that I'd someday channel my emotions regarding those patients into a story of healing. That was the spark for my story--a quilter who makes a patriotic quilt and a wounded warrior who received her quilt of comfort. Hallmark bought the story in September 2018.

Could you give me a short blurb about the plot specifics?

Here it is…A quilt shop owner finds a soldier's journal in a box of donated books and, having a veteran father, wants to help heal him. A Marine turned firefighter wants nothing to do with the quilter, Christmas, and doesn't see himself as worthy of being a hero. After everything he's been through, she has to show him the world through her eyes and wraps him in a special Quilt of Valor.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?


We do a saran wrap ball game every year and have a lot of fun doing that. There's always laughter and the kids talk about doing it so I know they enjoy. :)

What’s next?

My Hallmark Publishing stories are Christmas books, so I suspect I'll go quiet for a while after December 25th as I dig in to get my Christmas 2021 book written. :)

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?

Just keep writing. Rejections are going to happen. Just keep writing and writing and writing. Learn from each story you write. Every word is an education and one step closer to your dream.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?

I wish I had known to push myself more and to take more chances with my writing by giving my writing voice freedom to let loose.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?

Yes. A third story, Wrapped Up in Hope, will be out Christmas 2021.

That’s all for today’s interview. I would love to see pictures of that saran wrap ball game! If you’d like to learn more about Janice’s writing, here are some links to get you started.

Website:
www.janicelynn.com

Instagram: janice.lynn.author

Twitter:  @janicemarielynn

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JaniceLynnAuthor

No comments:

Post a Comment