Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Mysteries with a Sense of Humor: Author Interview with Charlotte Stuart

What drew you to writing cozy murder mysteries? 
Some of my mysteries are what I consider a “modern” or “hybrid” cozy. My themes tend to be more serious, my characters often a bit edgy, and my “village” is more expansive. What I’m drawn to is the use of humor and happy endings. Even in my PI series.

How long did it take you to write your first mystery that was published?
I actually wrote a number of mysteries several years ago and only more recently made an effort to get an agent and get published. But my first published mystery in my Discount Detective series took about six months to write and edit.

Have you been active with any writing critique groups?
I haven’t been active in any writing or critique groups, although my husband and I work together on plotting and editing.

How do you go about plotting your mystery? Do you pick the victim or the murderer first? 
I’m an eclectic mystery reader, but I confess to liking closure and having the good guys alive and triumphant at the end of the book. I actually start with a title and a topic. And, since I’m writing three different series at this point, I already have a protagonist and general situation in mind when I start a new book. From there I outline the plot, although the plotline is always evolving as I do more research and work with the characters. Sometimes even the murderer changes before the book is completed!

I’ve listened to quite a few successful authors talk about their writing process. There’s a lot of variety. I think the key is to discover what works for you and make sure you devote sufficient time to your writing. For me, it needs to be a daily priority.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
The hardest part for me is balancing action with character building. I want readers to be engaged with both characters and plot.

What does your editor remind you to do most often?
Eliminate repeated words and check tense. On a recent book we had a discussion about ponies versus horses and at what age a youngster no longer rides a pony. I appreciate it when an editor takes the time to check details like that.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Being a finalist in several contests and winning a couple of awards. I haven’t won anything big, but just seeing that “congratulations” email is uplifting.

We have all experienced rejection. How have you learned to write past it?
I doubt I will ever get used to rejection, no matter what form it takes. And before I got my first “acceptance,” I hated to even admit how much time I was spending on trying to get published. But I kept at it – that’s the only advice I can give anyone: Just keep trying. And do consider the possibility of self-publishing.

What has surprised or frustrated you the most in writing/publishing?
Without a doubt, what has surprised AND frustrated me has been how much marketing is involved. I feel like I’ve spent as much time the last year and a half learning about marketing as I have on writing.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had attended more webinars on both writing and marketing before getting published. And I wish I had given more thought to brand and audience. Although I probably would still be writing non-standard PI and cozy mysteries, I would have approached positioning them differently. Now I have a lot of catch-up to do.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Just “do it.” And seek out other writers to share ideas, successes and failures. The saying “If at first you don’t succeed, give up” isn’t a happy way to live your life.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
As a reader I never understood the power of reviews. If you enjoy someone’s book, please write a review—it only needs to be a sentence or two. Amazon counts reviews and makes placement decisions on them. So, reviews are an author’s best friend.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short blurb on the book?
The third in my Discount Detective series will be out November 2nd: Shopping Can Be Deadly (A Discount Detective Mystery).

Here's a blurb:

When gunshots echo off the shopping mall walls, the phrase “shop till you drop” takes on new meaning.

Single mom, Cameron Chandler, is an investigator with Penny-wise Investigations, a discount detective agency conveniently located in a suburban shopping mall. She is approaching her office with a cup of Guatemalan dark roast in her hand when she hears a gunshot and sees a young man collapse just a few feet away. Chaos breaks out in the packed mall as people try to escape. Cameron runs over to the gunshot victim and kneels beside him, but before she can help, she is grabbed from behind and forcibly dragged toward a mall exit.

That's a good cliff-hanger. If you'd like to learn more about Charlotte's writing, here are some links to get you started. 

Website: www.charlottestuart.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/quirkymysteries
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/charlotte.stuart.mysterywriter
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19305587.Charlotte_Stuart


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Christine, for featuring me in your blog. Love the sunset background on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview questions and appreciated the candid insightful answers. I have read and enjoyed all of Charlotte Stuart's books, anxiously waiting for my pre-ordered copy of Shopping Can Be Deadly.

    ReplyDelete