Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Stay True to Your Story: Author Interview with Amanda Cox

You're trained as a therapist/counselor, which means you’ve heard a lot of stories of brokenness. Is that what drew you to writing novels? 
As a counselor I am really drawn to people's stories and understanding what events have led them to the place they presently find themselves. I love exploring all the elements of people's lives that come together to make them who they are, AND helping them process that so they can find healthier ways to move forward from those broken places. I really enjoy that process with my fictional characters.

When did you start writing your first novel?
I started writing my first novel in 2012. It will probably always be unpublished, but that story holds a very special place in my heart. It taught me a lot about storytelling!

What was your process in finding an agent and/or publisher? 
I went to conferences and queried agencies through email. But what led to my first contract was participating in a twitter pitch party called #faithpitch. It definitely wasn't the way I expected things to happen when I started the publication journey, but it was just what my debut novel needed to find its publishing home.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
The rough draft! Getting that original, messy version down can be tough for me. I much prefer to tinker with my story, refining and clarifying it once that first draft has been wrestled out onto the page.

What does your editor remind you to do most often? 
This might sound a little strange, and I don't know that she even knows that she is doing this, but she has a way of reminding me to trust my instincts as a writer. The same portions of the book I think are okay end up being the same portions  she points out as needing more work. The portions I feel really good about are usually the portions of the book that remain untouched. That causes me to grow in confidence with my own judgment. I've learned if I am not loving a scene or a piece of dialogue, there is a reason. Usually, I need to push a little harder in those areas.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing? 
One of my first ever critique partners, an author further along on the writing journey, told me I had a strong voice as a writer. That was probably the first time I really thought I might have a talent for writing.

We have all experienced writing rejection. How have you learned to write past it?
Rejection is tough, but I always took it as something to learn and grow from. One rejection was particularly hard, mostly because I had thought, for various reasons, it would go the other way. I thought it was going to be the "yes" I was working so hard for. After that I finally decided it might be time to put the book I was seeking publication for aside for a season and write something new. 

I had spent a year focused on rewrites and querying, and all the answers were the same. That the writing was great, the story was great, but they weren't sure where my writing fit in the grand scheme of things. Just because I put the other book aside for a season didn't mean I gave up on it. I still believed in it. And when an opportunity arose, I pitched that book and found a home for it just a few weeks later.

What has surprised or frustrated you the most in writing/publishing? 
It was frustrating getting rejections that were very positive and yet ended with "but we're not quite sure where to place your book genre-wise." It was hard knowing the writing wasn't the problem or even that they didn't like the story, it was the story didn't fit neatly into a genre box. It was important to learn to be patient with that, and continue being who I am as a writer. Trying to be like anyone else only produced "so-so" work from me. I had to be who I was!

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner? 
It has been so fun learning how everyone's road to publication is unique. There are many roads to get to the same place. It is important to be okay with the fact it might look differently than you imagined or take more time than you imagined. The whole thing is a learning journey and an opportunity to grow.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give? 
Stay true to your story and who you are as a writer. While you will need to make changes and adjustments to your story as it goes through the editing process, know which changes are negotiable and which are nonnegotiable. For instance, one agent suggested I make a certain change to my book in order to help it find a publishing home, but even though it might have made the process faster, I knew I couldn't make that change because it would no longer be the story I wanted to tell. It was worth the longer wait to stay true to my story.

You promote your books to book clubs with discussion guides. What is your process in doing the guides?  
I have my discussion guides in mind while I am writing, but they usually don't come until all the edits are finished. 

Your website also says you are open to providing video chats with a club once the books are read. How has that worked out for you?
Doing video chats with books clubs was one of the highlights of the previous year. It was interesting releasing a book in 2020, and those video chats were such a wonderful way to connect with readers.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details? 
I don't have anything new that I can talk about quite yet, but my newest release is September 7, 2021, The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery. It's a story about three generations of women whose lives have revolved around their family-owned grocery, but when it appears the store will have to close due to the changing times, secrets that have unknowingly shaped their lives start to come to light.

Sounds like an interesting read! If you'd like to learn more about Amanda's books, here are some links to get you started. 
www.amandacoxwrites.com
facebook.com/amandacoxwrites
instagram.com/amandacoxwrites

No comments:

Post a Comment