Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Joy of the First Book: Author Interview with Ana Diamond

Today's interview is with an author who writes romantic suspense. She has a great tagline for her books which says...Come for the intrigue, Stay for the romance. Read on to learn more about her writing journey.

What made you decide to take the plunge and write a novel?
I started writing short stories when I was ten years old and have always loved to read. I think once the floodgates opened up for indie writers it seemed more accessible and I found more genres that I gravitated toward.

How long did it take you to write your first book?
Probably one year. I’ve always had a full-time job which makes it even more difficult.

How many rewrites did you do on it?
I can’t remember. I always need fresh eyes on the work in the form of an editor or editors.

Who helped you with the editing?
I’ve hired editors in the past. I’m always amazed at how many things I miss. TWRP, of course, has fabulous editors.

Have other books been started and stopped along the way?
Yes, many. I’ve had books come to a complete standstill and others I can keep building on.

How many publishers did you pitch before getting a contract from Wild Rose Press?
I think it was a handful because I pitched to publishers who were looking for Cozies.

From the time they accepted the book, how long did it take to be published?
It was accepted in the winter and published by the middle of summer.

How do you write?
Usually in the morning at my computer or if I’m on the go I’ll write on my phone.

Did you do an outline first?
No. I’m a pantser.

Did you do individual character development before doing the full plot?
I focus on the main character’s temperament and then apply it to everything that happens.

What is the hardest part of writing for you?
Editing.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
It’s usually in the form of awards or reviews.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
It’s not a race.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
I think it’s important to listen to constructive criticism and see where there can be improvement. Also, keep going.

Do you have a new book in the works?
Yes, a sequel to BODY CONSCIOUS. I’m finishing it up soon.

Can you give me a short synopsis? If not, give me a short synopsis of your current book.
This is from BODY CONSCIOUS:

Small town mortician, Lily Reynolds doesn’t date cops. But when a body is dumped at her doorstep, she is plunged into the world of murder with Detective James Rivers leading the case.

He has his own set of rules. Never date a civilian. As James is forced to focus on Lily as a suspect he can’t hold back his feelings for her. While Lily realizes she must solve the case to clear her name, she finds herself unable to stay away from the troubled detective.

Will they stick to their rules or will they find themselves unable to resist each other?

Good cliffhanger! If you'd like to learn more about Ana's books, here are some links to get you started.
https://twitter.com/AuthorDiamond

https://www.facebook.com/anadiamondauthor

https://www.instagram.com/anadiamondauthor/

https://www.tiktok.com/@anadiamondauthor

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting book, Ana. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Best of luck on your book!

    ReplyDelete