Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Writing MG Books: Author Interview with A.M. Luzzader

You’ve published 17 books for middle grade readers. What inspired you to write in that genre?
Before writing my middle grade books, I wrote books for adults. My first series was a post-apocalyptic series about a pandemic. Ironically, it was because of COVID that I started writing books for children. Everything felt so heavy and serious, I wanted something light-hearted to take my mind off the world's troubles. 

That's when I wrote my first middle grade series A Mermaid in Middle Grade. After writing those six books, I knew I was meant to be a children's author. I had so much fun writing in the genre and it felt like a good fit for my writing style.

Give me the details about your writing before your children’s book series.
I'd published a post-apocalyptic trilogy called Among These Bones and a collection of short horror stories called Creep Factor. I'd also had dozens of short stories published in various anthologies from Chicken Soup for the Soul to fantasy and horror collections. I'd also worked as an editor and technical writer for the previous seven years.

Those 17 books show publication dates starting from 2020. Do you write books that quickly or does your writing go back several years waiting to be published?
I write very quickly compared to a lot of authors. I write every single day and usually have more than one project in progress at a time so if I'm stuck on one I can pick up the other. My first book took me three years to write, but as I've practiced I have been able to streamline my processes. Start to finish, I can complete a book in about eight weeks.

What was your process like in getting your first book published? How did you find your publisher?
I am independently published through my own publishing company, Knowledge Forest Press. I made this choice because the publishing schedules for traditional publishers are usually a few years out, and I was too impatient to wait that long to see my books in print.

As a middle-grade author, school visits can play a big part of book sales. What’s the process of setting them up? What tips do you have for other MG authors in planning and promoting school visits?
I didn't start writing children's books until 2020 and with COVID, schools weren't doing assemblies. I'm just now (in 2022) beginning to do school visits. I did one a few months ago and was told that because of COVID it was some of the students' very first assembly! That was a fun experience. 

To set the school visits up, schools or libraries usually contact me through my website, and then we work out the details from there. My tips for other MG authors would be to make sure you include information about school visits on your website, and don't be afraid to let teachers know you're available. Most of my visits have been arranged by a teacher who enjoyed one of my books.

You have three books of scary stories. Where do you draw the line in “scary” so that children will still be able to sleep at night after reading your stories?
I wrote Arthur Blackwood's Scary Stories for Kids Who Like Scary Stories to be intentionally scary. I'm hoping the reader does experience the thrills of a good scary book. I modeled my stories after Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, which was one of my favorite book series when I was a child. 

In my books, I draw the line by having absolutely no gore, excessive violence, or inappropriate language in my stories. Sometimes I get feedback telling me the stories are too scary, but I also get feedback saying they aren't scary enough. I always suggest parents read through the books first to know if it's something that would be appropriate for their child.

Your books are published as Kindle books and paperbacks. Which version sells more books?
Over 90% of my sales are paperbacks. I think that is mostly due to the age of my readers.

You also produce an audio format? How did you go about setting that up?
Tantor Media contacted me through my website and asked to purchase the rights to create an audiobook version of the first two Mermaid in Middle Grade books. We were able to come to agreeable terms, and I was so happy with the results. The narrator did an excellent job!

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I was really stuck on making things perfect for a while. I would edit the same piece over and over, and unfortunately, sometimes I edited the life right out of a piece. It made writing a very frustrating and tiring experience. Now I aim for "good enough." 

Writing should be fun. It should be enjoyable for the reader and the writer, but it doesn't have to be perfect. I also didn't know that non-famous writers like myself could make a living at it. If I'd known that, I would have started much sooner!

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Keep going. Don't quit. If you finish writing a book, start another one. That's really the secret. Just don't quit. From my own experience, and from observing others, the only difference from the ones who have been successful and the ones who have not is that the successful ones didn't quit. Even when facing failures or setbacks, they keep going. So don't quit! That's the best advice I've received and that I could give.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
If you are just starting out, I'd really recommend finding a writing group that does critiques. Giving and receiving critiques, in my opinion, is one of the best ways to learn the craft of writing. But always remember that ultimately you are the writer, and you get to decide what information to keep or ignore.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
I have finished writing three chapter books called Decker's Video Game Rescue Agency. I'm just waiting for the illustrations and formatting to be completed, but the first book should be released in June. 

The premise of the books is that children who play video games too much, might find themselves physically sucked into the games. Sam Decker and his sister run a rescue agency to get the kids back out. The books celebrate video games while also teaching moderation and other life lessons. It's intended for ages 6-9.

Sounds like a lot of options for MG readers. If you'd like to learn more about her books and school visits, here are some links to get you started. 
https://www.amluzzader.com/
https://www.facebook.com/a.m.luzzader
https://www.instagram.com/amluzzader/

No comments:

Post a Comment