Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Becoming a Debut MG Author: Interview with Kirsten Marion

You’ve just published your first middle-grade book. What inspired you to write in that genre?
I was about eight or nine when I first started reading the books that have stuck with me through the years. Books about magic, and adventures, and fabulous creatures. I wanted to write the kind of book that my young self would have loved to read.

When did you actually start writing your first book? How long did it take to write your first draft? 
I started writing Lucy & Dee, The Silk Road in 2016. I had the first draft virtually written by 2017 with input from my writing buddy. And then I was overtaken by events (as we so often are) and I didn’t get back to it until March 2021.

You own a publishing house that publishes books for children and teens. What was it like being on the author side for once and going through the process?
Oh my (puts head in hands). I had no idea how much hard work the editing process was going to be. I had an amazing editor, the brilliant Emily Stewart who is also our managing editor.

When she sent me my first editorial letter (the developmental edit), it was eleven pages long! I almost fainted. After we completed the developmental edit, we went on to the copy edit stage where all the fine details were smoothed out. It was a months-long process. But all of her thoughts and prodding brought the book to a level I could never have achieved on my own.

What has frustrated or 
pleasantly surprised you the most in the process of publishing your book? 
I can’t think of anything hugely frustrating about it. What has pleasantly surprised me is the support and interest I’ve had from family (particularly my husband, who had to put up with his wife disappearing into the land of Sericea for long stretches of time) and friends.

What advice would you give someone who wants to write children’s stories?
Make sure you have well-rounded characters with strengths and flaws that drive the plot forward. External events can and do happen in a plot, but it’s how the different characters react to them that makes for the most interesting stories.

What is the best writing advice you’ve been given?
I actually took my advice from a long-dead Victorian-era author, Anthony Trollope. Despite working full time at the Post Office, Trollope managed to write over forty novels. He did this by setting a timer to write a set word count in 15-minute intervals. By using this method, I was able to finish Lucy and Dee.

How much time daily do you have for writing?
Not enough! I try to set aside dedicated chunks of time three or four times a week but I can’t count on getting any writing done on a daily basis.

Could you give me a brief synopsis of your book?
Sure! Here it is... 
Best friends Lucy and Dee couldn’t be more different. Breezy, optimistic, and impulsive Lucy wants an adventure. Dee, more cautious and thoughtful, needs money to help him find his missing parents.

When a flaming bird leads them to a hidden road, and the lord of stone offers them a quest, the opportunity for both arises. In a land full of magic, dragons, and demons, all they have to do is befriend a young emperor―which would be a lot easier if he wasn't a royal pain and an angry queen didn't want to destroy him.

Soon they're running for their lives with the entitled ruler in tow. Lucy and Dee must find a way home with a mysterious feather and a dragon-whisperer (who looks suspiciously like a hedgehog) their only defense against capture...or worse.

What message would you like parents and children to take away from your books? 
Lucy & Dee, The Silk Road is at heart a story of courage, perseverance, compassion, friendship. and personal growth all wrapped up in a wonderful adventure. I’d love it if parents and children could point to the book and say it was one of the books that gave them a life-long love of reading.

What plans do you have for other books?
Book two of the series is currently in editing (to be published next March) and I’ve mapped out the third book already.

If you'd like to learn more about Kirsten's writing, go to her website at 
https://kirstenmarion.com/ 
You can also download sample chapters of Lucy & Dee, The Silk Road there. 
Her publisher website: https://www.commondeerpress.com/
If you have any questions about her writing, use the contact form on her website so she can follow up with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment