Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Don't Be Afraid of Writing Rejection - Keep Writing: Author Interview with Dennis Bailey

You retired from being a police detective and turned to writing. What made you decide to write biblical fiction? 
For most of my adult life, I've been an ardent student of the Bible. Back in the mid-90s, I also became a big fan of Jerry B. Jenkins' and Tim LaHaye's Left Behind series. After reading those stories, all I can say is that I felt the call of God on my own heart to take what I'd learned in the Scriptures and use it to write something similar using the Biblical account of Noah. 

What type of research did you do for that first book, Army of Godto create a story that grabs at the reader’s heart? 
All of the historical research for Army of God is based on that account and the writings of Flavius Josephus in his Antiquities of the Jews. At it's core, Army of God is a revenge story, with the hook being how the animals are employed as more than just cargo, but as defenders of the ark itself.

Your books are independently published. Prior to writing these books, what experience did you have with marketing and publishing? 
I had no prior experience in marketing or publishing prior to my first book. Army of God was originally published by a small, newly-formed, boutique publisher. However, following a less than successful launch, I regained control of the rights to the novel and published it independently. 

How much of the non-writing (formatting, cover design, website design, etc.) did you do?  
Surprisingly, I do quite a bit of the non-writing tasks. While I contract others to handle the eBook formatting, cover design (based on my own concept), and website development. 

Starting with my second novel, I took over formatting of the print version (using Adobe InDesign) as well as the production and publishing of my own book trailers (Wondershare Filmora). For me, the hardest part of the publishing and marketing of my own books is the time it takes away from the creative process of writing.

Marketing is a big part of increasing book sales. You’ve managed to get 500 + reviews, which is not easy for a new author. What marketing venue have you found most successful in not only getting clicks but sales as well? 
I've benefited from a lot of good advice. I hired both a personal book marketing consultant and a separate commercial marketing team. The personal consultant provided a tailored marketing roadmap for promoting my books using the major book promo sites (e.g., Robin Reads, Freebooksy, EReader News Today, etc.) in conjunction with running price promotion campaigns on Amazon. 

The marketing team handles all of the direct advertising that appears on the Amazon sales pages. As for the most successful marketing venue, I'd say the three I mentioned above are equally good. Everybody talks about how great BookBub is (and they are), but what good are they if you can't get them to accept your book for promotion.

Both of your books have wonderful cover designs. How did you find the right designer?
 
That's an interesting story. A few years ago, I ran a design contest on the graphic design website 99Designs, but wasn't able to find an acceptable candidate. After that I went looking through their list of artists on my own and found someone whose portfolio contained some truly magnificent character designs. His name is Darko Tomic and he's from Serbia. He did both of my covers and, with luck, will do all my future ones.

What is the hardest part of writing for you?  
I'd have to say overcoming inertia. When I get stuck and the words aren't coming, I get depressed. So, I take a break. But then I find myself not wanting to come back. I'll come back to the screen two, three, four times during the day and just end up staring at it, all the while becoming more frustrated and discouraged. 

I've heard of writers who can write 18,000 words in a weekend, or a complete novel in 90 days. I could never do that. Writing for me is an inherently slow, deliberate process. I've spent half a day writing a single paragraph. The price of being a perfectionist, I guess.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing? 
Her name is DiAnn Mills. She's an established Christian author, writer of more than 55 books. I met her at a Christian Writer's Conference in Dallas 11 years ago where she inexplicably invited me to join an advanced writer's class she was teaching. Since then, she has become my friend, editor, mentor, writing coach, and varsity cheerleader. Her best advice to me. "Keep writing."

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner? 
Only that I'd taken it up sooner. I've always loved writing, the crafting of words into a coherent thought that might touch, move, persuade, or even change a person's life in some way. Even as a police detective, I'm humbled to say I had a reputation for writing a fairly good investigative report. But I'd never thought to use that gift to tell stories. Jerry Jenkins once said, "Whatever else the writing life offers, nothing compares with the dream of actually changing lives with words." He was, of course, correct.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give? 
Don't be afraid to follow your dream. If your dream is to write, write! Next, develop a thick skin and prepare yourself for rejection. It happens to us all. I was dropped by my agent a year after being signed. Army of God was overlooked by all but one small publishing house and has been rejected for promotion by BookBub 26 straight times. And yet it continues to garner 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon and was a Readers' Favorite Gold Medal Award winner in 2020. Above all, don't give up!

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add? 
Writing is a sedentary occupation, one that can lead to a variety of ailments related to being inactive. To combat this, you're going to want to develop a regular exercise regimen and stick to it. It doesn't necessarily have to be strenuous, but should involve something other than sitting. 

It may be tough when the creative juices are flowing, but I wouldn't suggest sitting more than two hours at a time without getting up to take a walk around the house or the yard. I have an adjustable standing desk that allows me to alternate between sitting and standing to prevent strain in either position while writing.

Your newest book, 
The Boy Who Cried Christmas, is a boy who cried wolf story. Tell me about how you crafted your plot. 
I wish I could take credit, but must confess I rely heavily on the Spirit of God for all of my story ideas.  Even in my youth, I was never quite that creative or imaginative and probably the reason I chose the pragmatic, analytical career of a police officer. Of course, after Army of God, I did want to tell a Christmas story, one that focused more on the birth of Jesus than the commercialized Santa Claus. I thought the boy who cried wolf fable was the perfect vehicle to use. 

Rather than a farfetched tale of a pending wolf attack, I used the farfetched tale of a boy witnessing the birth of Christ. Strategically, the story is broken into two main overarching themes. The first involves the boy traveling back in time to witness the event and all the dangers he faces there. The second deals with the scrutiny and dangers he faces upon his return to the present. I'm particularly proud of the ending, which turned out to be quite a surprise to many readers.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Dennis's books, here are some links to get you started.
Website: https://dennisbaileyauthor.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dennisbaileyauthor
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Dennis-Bailey/e/B078T3BF7J
Army of God book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrTF3Hroj0&t=1s
The Boy Who Cried Christmas book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3Ga7ziKTQ

No comments:

Post a Comment