Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Finding the Right Place to Start the Story: Author Interview with Donna Schlachter

You’ve now published dozens of books, but what got you started to complete the first one?  How many rewrites did you do before you thought it was ready for publication?

That's a great question. My first book was actually a cozy mystery, and I wrote it because I wondered if I had at least one book inside me. Somewhere around 2002, I came across a link to NaNoWriMo, and I took the challenge. I wrote 50,000 words that month -- a record for me. Then I realized I loved my heroine and wanted to spend more time in her world and in her head. Thus was born my first series, By the Numbers, featuring a forensic accountant. 

How many rewrites did you do before you thought it was ready for publication?
I probably did about 20 re-writes before I finally published in 2015.

What made you chose writing historical romance?
I started writing historical romance when a friend mentioned she was working on a Pony Express project, and I piped up, "I'd like to do something like that." She had all her writers at the time, but emailed me a month later because one had dropped out. Hubby and I drove the Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Utah portion of the Pony Express route just to get a feel for it, researching along the way. I was hooked. History was interesting! Even that story took me at least 3 tries to get the beginning right.

How many publishers did you query before you got a contract for your first book?
Back in the day when there were more publishers--or so it seems--and everything was done by print, snail mail, receipt of package cards, and SASE, I believe I queried at least 10 publishers. One was interested and asked for some re-writes, pointing out a couple of glaring errors in my cozy mystery. I am forever grateful that editor took the time to invest in me. While they didn't buy the book, I know it was better because of their input.

Marketing is a big part of increasing book sales. What marketing venue have you found most successful in not only getting clicks but sales as well?

Facebook seems to be where my readers hang out, but really, Kindle Unlimited comes a close second. Both pull readers in, and while it's difficult to know which generates the most sales, I know they're both important. 

What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
For me, character names can be wicked in that I tend to gravitate to the same ones, and I have to remind myself I just used that in another book.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
This was about 18 years ago. Hubby and I were walking to the post office on a Tuesday.
I paused and said. "If I get any more rejections, I don't know what I'll do."
"How many yesterday?"
"Six."
He looked at me a long moment, then said, "If I told you right now that you'll never be published, would you quit?"
I thought about that questions just about as long. "No. I can't. The stories are in there, and if I don't write them, I'll burst."
He gripped my hand and pulled me along. "Then it doesn't matter how many rejections you get."
He was right.

That is so true. I get frustrated by rejections, but I can't stay away from writing for too long. Next question...
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
Start at the right place. By all means, spend time getting to know your character, but before you submit, go back in and check for where the story begins. It isn't in the middle of a filing marathon, which is where I started my first book. I wanted my readers to know that organization and order was important to my character, and where better to show that than in the office, I thought. Wrong. Start where the character is confronted with something that will shake their world. Weave the rest in along the way.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Never. Give. Up. (Winston Churchill)  Of course, this pertains to most things in life, not just writing. Don't die with the story still inside you.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Readers, please take a few minutes to leave a review online after you've read a book and if you enjoyed it. If you hated it, please don't lie and say it was great. And if you didn't like it because the cover model didn't match your vision of the heroine, don't blame the author. They probably had no control over the cover.

Can you give me a short blurb about your latest historical book?
Hollow Hearts features Middle-aged widow Edith Cooper who walks away from the cemetery along the Green River near Simpson’s Hollow, Utah Territory. Away from the husband buried there this morning. Away from their plans and dreams for their future. Along the way, two men offer their hand in marriage. For her protection, one says. For his children’s sake, says the second. Were any of these reasons enough to marry? She must choose one. But which?

Albert Whitt, stationmaster of the Pony Express Station, loves his independent life. Twice stood up by women, he takes the only course that ensures no more rejection: stay clear of them. But when he learns that the stoic Widow Cooper is considering two proposals from men not worthy of lacing her boots, he must do something. But what?


Can Edith and Albert find a new beginning in the midst of tragedy, or will they choose the most convenient path—alone?

Good plot set up. And I love how your cover images fits your plot. I enjoyed doing this interview and caught myself thinking "me, too" with a lot of what Donna had to say. I love my writing community and all that they teach me. And I love sharing their books with my readers as well. So, I hope you explore her website: https://www.donnaschlachter.com/ If you subscribe to her newsletter, you'll 
get a free e-book. Go ahead and sign up.
Here's the link to her latest book:  https://www.amazon.com/Hollow-Hearts-Book-Pony-Express-ebook/dp/B0B5B7H4XG


3 comments:

  1. Great interview, Christine. It inspired me to keep writing and sending things off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish, that's what I hope -- is to keep writers writing :)

    ReplyDelete