Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Writing for the YA Market: Author Interview with Deborah Grace White

Your bio says you've always been an avid reader, but what made you decide to actually write one of your own? How many rewrites did you do before deciding it was finally ready to publish?
The first novel I wrote is actually still not published. I wrote it to get the story out of my system, so to speak. It’s quite a different genre from what I mainly wanted to write, though (which is fantasy), so I shelved it. 

My first published novel, Heir of the Curse, started as an idea in high school, when I jotted down some thoughts here and there. It wasn’t until after the birth of my second child, at which time I wasn’t undertaking any paid work, that I decided to properly write it. I think my brain was looking for an outlet, and I guess I found it!

Your books are independently published, but they’re under the umbrella for Luminant Publications. The info on that site says all the authors are family members. How does that work out?
We all write our own novels independently, but the banner allows us to have more control of our publishing process. The family member who runs the publishing company also does a fair bit of admin for the rest of us.

What’s the hardest part of publishing and marketing your own books?
Marketing, definitely. It’s not something I enjoy, or am good at. It’s such a different skill from writing, and there are so many variables that it’s hard to even tell if something is or isn’t working. Questions like whether to advertise, where and for how much still overwhelm me a bit.

Marketing is a big part of increasing book sales. What marketing venue have you found most successful in not only getting clicks but sales as well?
I’ve found paid advertising to be a mixed bag. I’ve had some success with specific paid promos (eg BookBub), but even these are hit and miss. Probably my preferred marketing venue is newsletter swaps with authors in a like genre. It’s not something that happens all at once, though. It’s important to build relationships with other authors, rather than just looking for advertising opportunities. These relationships are really important for success in other ways, not least of which is moral support in a field that can be isolating for some! Finding author groups is a great approach.

All of your books have stunning cover designs. How did you find the right illustrator for the covers? 
My covers are done professionally by an incredible designer called Karri Klawiter. I don’t know her outside of our professional relationship, but she was recommended to me by a family member who’s also an author. She’s great to work with, and having the same designer for all my covers allows for great consistency. It’s not something I would ever recommend skimping on, or doing yourself unless you have the training and experience.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
I find action scenes quite challenging to write. Dialogue and character building comes more naturally. Worldbuilding is hard as well, not in that I can’t come up with ideas, but in that it’s hard to know how much is too much, or too little. I also struggle to keep to my target outline. I tend to overwrite!

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Probably emails from readers who’ve really enjoyed my books and have gotten in touch to let me know why! But also having family members who are authors as well. That’s pretty invaluable in many ways, from advice to just talking things out. I don’t try to market my books to people I know in real life (not a viable market, and not the vibe I want in my friendships!) but when a friend happens to read and enjoy my books, that’s also enormously encouraging. There’s no substitute for that face to face affirmation!

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I hope I did know this on some level from the start, but one important thing to remember is to be open to feedback! Especially with your first novel, it can be really sensitive to receive feedback from beta readers and editors, but it’s actually really important—usually, if something has bothered someone, it will bother other readers. Being willing to change your work when needed is a really important part of becoming a good writer (something to which we all aspire!). The good news is this process definitely gets easier as you go.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Work to your own goals and capacity, and be very careful of comparing yourself to other authors!

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
For me, at least, writing is fun. Not every part of the process, of course. There’s a lot involved in getting a novel out there, and some of it won’t be that enjoyable. But the storytelling itself should be fun and engaging. If you don’t like it, don’t force yourself to do it! And if you love it, give it a go, even if you don’t meet with wild success in an objective sense.

What’s the next book coming out? Could you share a bit of the story with my readers?
I’m currently partway through releasing The Vazula Chronicles, a four book series about a determined mermaid and a reluctantly magical human lord. The final book will release on October 7th, so not long until the series is all complete, for those who don’t like to be left with an unfinished story!

My next project, scheduled to debut before the end of the year, is a new series of fairy tale retellings. More info can be found on my website!

If you'd like to learn more about Deborah's books, here's the link to her website which lists all the details. https://deborahgracewhite.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment