Blog Archive

Thursday, November 10, 2022

It's Beginning to Read a Lot Like Christmas: Featuring Barbara Lohr

How did you come up with the idea for your book The Christmas Cruise? 
When my husband and I took a cruise down the Danube a few years back, I learned about the Christmas cruises. Of course I would love to take one! The research was fun. Each city along the way has a different marketplace with its own distinctive theme. Those historical markets are quite beautiful and offer a lot. The New Year’s Eve scene where the ship cruises in front of the gorgeously lit Parliament building in Budapest was one great memory from my own cruise. That book, The Christmas Cruise, is a Holt Medallion finalist, 

Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
When Hadley’s fiancĂ© puts their wedding on hold right before Christmas, she joins her aunt for Christmas Market Cruise down the Danube. Still wearing her ring, she’ll consider Brock’s stipulation for their marriage. Keeping all options open, she forms an unlikely friendship with a little girl whose father is a grump––or so his daughter Clara says. Her Christmas cruise helps Hadley figure out what her heart really wants. Clara.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
Decorating a tree of course. And I like to make Christmas cookies. Food is an important part of the holidays for us. My family had the tradition of cheese fondue Christmas Eve. Along with that we have avocado salads and dip fruit into a chocolate fondue for dessert.

The food onboard a cruise ship is, of course, fabulous. I usually take time with food in my stories, and I brought that into this book. The Yule log (Buche de Noel) was served on board. Every market has its own favorite food. For example, the market in Cologne sells cathedral shaped waffles. Gluhwein is a hot wine milled with spices and that is the official drink of every Christmas market in Germany. The jams, cheeses and cookies are plentiful and make wonderful gifts for those cruising in late November or December.

What’s next? 
My next book will probably be a Christmas addition to my Friends to Lovers series which takes place in Sweetwater Creek. I live in the south and take great joy in southern settings. Savannah is the location for my Southern Comfort Christmas book

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?

Sit down in a chair and write. It’s pretty basic but if you don’t write, you can’t revise, etc. I usually begin with a plot plan but it always broadens and deepens as I write. That would not happen if I waited and waited to have everything “perfect.” Just sit down and write. I write seven days a week. My husband is very patient.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
There is so much to learn that this is hard to answer. Writing, especially indie writing, keeps changing. Be prepared to keep learning.

Any additional tips?
I’ve taken classes from some excellent people but choose carefully. Be sure the person has published and it helps if she/he writes in your genre. Do not have a blurb written by someone who write horror stories if you write sweet contemporary. Do not jump on the latest band wagon. I once blew one hundred dollars on a video on how to set up bots on your site to give automatic answers. Another writer said online that for once she was getting ahead of the curve. And I was like, Yes! I only listened to fifteen minutes and knew I had made a mistake!

When I started out, a friend said that the people who would make the most money on self publishing were the people supporting the writers…and that has turned out to be true. Choose your team wisely and choose for the long haul.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?
 
My first book remains a favorite with readers. Everyone loves Savannah, the widower Cameron Bennett and his precocious little girl Bella. (Do you see familiar tropes?) I just clicked on it and it had a 5-star July 31 review, which always amazes me.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Barbara's books, here are some links to get you started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment