Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

It's Beginning to Read a Lot Like Christmas: Featuring Mona Ingram

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
As with most of my books, the idea evolved over time. I find that before I start writing, the stories bounce around in my head for a while. When I can’t stop thinking about them, and the characters become real, a little voice says “Hey, you’ve got something there,” and I start to outline.

In the case of the Dear Santa series, I wanted the stories to build a community of people and had the idea to loosely connect the stories to a shopping mall in a town on Vancouver Island. The idea of a mall at Christmas conjures up a lot of ideas, so I’m glad I settled on that. As I’m writing this blog there are six books in the series, and I have a rough idea and the first few pages written for the next. As with many authors, my regular life was put on hold for Covid, but I’m slowly getting back to normal, and it feels good.

The first book in the series – the one that’s free so readers can get an idea of what to expect – is called The Party. Without giving too much away, Paige owns a deli in the mall and has been hired to cater a party for RL Donovan, the town’s elusive high-tech entrepreneur. In the end he doesn’t come to his own Christmas party, but she meets Jake, the head of the clean-up crew and they have a quiet coffee after the guests have gone home.

Paige rarely discusses her brother, but there’s something about Jake that encourages her to open up and she tells him about Simon’s high functioning autism. She’s his caregiver which makes relationships difficult, as the men she’s dated are generally unsure about Simon. But Jake is different, and by the time they say goodnight, she finds herself hoping he’ll call to ask her out. The story evolves as expected, and includes a secondary romance involving her friend Paige and Jake’s friend Damian.

The inclusion of autism in the storyline has tugged at a lot of hearts, generating quite a few comments. I do not personally know anyone with autism, but the response pleases me.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
I’ve always found that the simple Christmas traditions are best. I recall making sugar cookies with my mother and decorating them with what was at hand in the cupboard. Another fond memory relates to books. One of my friends and I always got Nancy Drew mysteries. Our mothers would make sure we didn’t get the same books so we could exchange, which was usually in the afternoon of Christmas Day. My one restriction was that I wasn’t allowed to leave the house for the book exchange until I’d written all my Thank You letters. Not a bad ‘tradition’, come to think of it.


What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?

Aha. Writing tips. The best one is from Stephen King’s book On Writing. His advice is that once you’ve typed The End, set the book aside for several weeks (he says six but that’s a long time), and then go back to it. The areas needing improvement will jump out. He’s right.I didn’t start writing until I was retired, so I didn’t have any illusions about becoming rich and famous. But I do know that if you don’t enjoy it, your writing will show that lack of enthusiasm. Yes, some days it can be difficult to sit down at the keyboard, but don’t set unrealistic goals. When you aren’t ‘feeling it’, take some time off until the urge to write comes back.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
Writing is a business. Act professionally and if criticism bothers you, don’t read your reviews. There’s always someone who, for whatever reason, feels a compulsion to take your story apart. Join online groups with other writers. Take your time absorbing what type of group it is, and leave if you don’t like what they’re saying. Be judicious. Your time is valuable.

Also, you’ll find dozens of people and sites that promise the world if you buy their product. This can range from editing to marketing info, to buying ads. This is where a good solid writing group comes in. Many groups sort posts into subjects, which is helpful. Hint: explore the site before asking questions. But most of all, have fun.

That's all for today's interview. I hope you'll check out Mona's books. Amazon lists 77 titles with her name. You're sure to find something you'll like. And here's a special bonus for you. She has eight different series ranging from 3 to 8 books per series. The first eBook in each series is FREE You can find them here: https://www.monaingram.com/first-book-in-series-free

No comments:

Post a Comment