Blog Archive

Friday, February 24, 2023

Finding Your Writing Niche By Writing What You Know: Author Interview with Deb Graham

Amazon lists you as having published 31 books in a variety of genres. What made you decide to write that first book?

The story…my husband said some years ago, “I’m going to write a book.” And I thought, “How cute.” He wrote a sci-fi and it sold a lot of copies (He went on to write 48!). Now, he has a far better imagination than mine, but I am a much better writer, having had a string of abusive English teachers growing up. So I figured, “If he can do it, I can!” And the standard advice is Write What You Know. 

We cruise a lot and on many ships, I found myself baffled that other passengers don’t know stuff. I met a man who complained about the entertainment, “Just that guy at the piano, night after night.” Yes, he found the piano bar, but he didn’t know there was a theatre. I met a family who packed canned tuna and cup-a-soups so they wouldn’t have to spend money in the ship’s restaurants, not knowing food is included. One evening, we sat around with four other couples we’d just met, talking about What Did You Do In Port Today? And one man finally blurted, “We can get off the ship?!” Didn’t he wonder why the ship sat docked all day? And I realized I know more than other people…not because I’m particularly brilliant, but I am a compulsive reader. That fine print? Of course, I read it. 

Long answer to short question: write what I know meant cruise tips. I was a Girl Scout leader and Cub Scout leader for seven years (at the same time) in the pre-Pinterest days and parents fought to get their kids in my troop. In consolidating my many files, that turned into four short books for kids. I love to bake and cook: thus cookbooks, including my consistent best-seller Hand Me That Hand Pie. I know we’re supposed to stick to one genre, but I never planned on selling a nearly-embarrassing number of books so it didn’t matter (then). 

I’m most comfortable writing nonfiction. It doesn’t skitter around like fiction can do, but back to Husband, who was writing (and selling!) fiction. When I decided to try to write a novel, cruises again came to mind. I love to read mysteries and paranormal, but I’m very prone to nightmares so I have to be realllly selective. I decided to write the kind of books I enjoy reading, with quirky, relatable characters. I have a background in stand up comedy so even my nonfictions books are laced with humor. They all have a positive outlook and subtle message of hope, because if you spend three hours reading my books, I want you to feel better, not worse.  Whew. Wordy? Who, me?

Are you a “pantser’ or a plotter?
I am a pantser. I carefully outline my books (no more than one page), then I write the first chapter and the ending. I know where I want the story to go, but often, the characters have other ideas and it swerves off the plot line. So long as it gets where I was aiming, I’m okay with that.

Being an avid cruiser myself, I was drawn to your books that offer tips for cruising. What's one of your favorite ports and why?
The title of my first book, Tips from the Cruise Addict’s Wife, was a joke. Husband literally is obsessed with cruising! We were on the very last ship sailing in the world when the pandemic broke out (a Panama Canal cruise. Flashbacks? Yeah, a few…). I think I’ve been on about 45 cruises. This next one, with eight old friends is a spendy one. I’m planning to start an updated version of Cruise Tips, thus making my half of the trip tax-deductible. 

I think my favorite place, of all we’ve visited, is still Alaska. That old song says somebody left their heart in San Francisco. I left mine in Alaska and as often as I can, I go back to visit my body part. I love history. Visiting Europe and feeling the history in the very walls, the steps, the air, makes me very happy, too. Istanbul might be my least-favorite port so far. I don’t think I drew a full breath until we left, and we were there 45 hours. Incredible history, great people, but I just didn’t feel at ease.

You've also written murder mysteries that take place on cruises? Did the idea for those books begin while you were on a cruise? Will there be more of them?
My books begin with a question. In Hawaii, a guide mentioned the baby sea turtles migrate in a figure eight pattern between two islands, venturing farther afield as they age. How could a Bad Guy utilize that fact? That’s the premise of my first novel. Again, I know cruises, so the setting was a comfortable one for me. Well, there was that one cruise where Husband cornered the First Officer and said I was wondering about security…how hard would breaching the bridge be? How many layers of security and who would be alerted? Yes, I wanted those details for my next book, but I was certain I was under scrutiny the whole trip. It seemed an officer of senior staff was always in my line of sight. That was uncomfortable.

Yes, I plan on writing another cruise novel, set in New England and the Canadian Maritimes, in 2023, with the same main characters. I like them a lot.

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?
Marketing is slippery. I admit I’m not good at it. I’ve had success with paid ads that send out newsletters/emails, including Fussy Librarian, Book Goodies, and Book Gorilla but, honestly, in person sales at local markets and word-of mouth has been just as effective for me. I’m currently working on getting all of my books in audio format on YouTube.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Ask for reviews and use words when you do it. Writers complain they don’t get enough reviews. Mine have plenty. In the back of each book, I write a Shameless Plea. I ask the reader to write a review, include a link or hyperlink, tell them it can be anonymous if they wish, and relate it to my book. For example, in my Cruise Addict’s Wife series, I say a review “means as much as $100 tip to a cabin steward”, etc. It works well for me. People are willing to review, but they might need a nudge, humorous, if possible.

Another tip is to write every day –in my case, six days a week because God took a day off and I need one, too. My daily goal is one hundred sixty words per day. Almost always, I settle in and write more or a lot more, but if I’m having an off day, I still meet my goal and that’s fine. The main idea is to have the book in my mind all the time. That way, my subconscious can roll it over while I’m doing other things. If you set it up to succeed, a brain can untangle plot knots or figure out dialogue and come up with ideas you didn’t know you needed, just by keeping it fresh in your mind.

And of course, remember than any research is tax-deductible. Cruises, hot air balloon flights, Hawaiian luaus, restaurant in Greece, all count.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
I sell at farmer’s markets here in North Idaho. Meeting readers is fun and insightful. I’ve been surprised at how many people shyly admit they’ve been writing a book/have a finished document in their desk/always wanted to write. They seem somewhat awed to meet A Real Live Author. Imposter syndrome is real! I think it’s important, no, critical, to be part of a writing community, to be able to talk to like-minded people who understand the joys and struggles of writing and love it as much as you do. There are numbers people and musical people and word people, among others. I’m a word person; thus obliged to help others along the way.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

I’m aiming for early March. It’s a mystery, a mild thriller without a title as yet. I can write four chapters easier than coming up with a title, and blurbs are worse.

After Jane’s shady landlord damages her house, she realizes it’s time to step out of her colorless life and pursue her bucket list binder, one little dream at a time. The impetus is a fortune cookie paper that says Adventure Awaits. Jane decided to chase her dreams. More and more fortune cookies pop up, increasingly threatening, in the form of memes, texts, florist deliveries, and random places. Fearing for her life, Jane flees to her old hometown. Will the Jane be able to claim her own freedom before the Bad Guy stops her? 

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Deb's books, simply go to her Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Deb-Graham/author/B00CJMR2NU/  


And here's a bonus for my readers... Deb will be giving away one of her eBooks  to one reader who adds a comment below. It can be as simple as,  I'd like to win a book. Then on 3/2/23 at 8:00 pm. I'll put all the names of the posters in a box and pull out our winner. So leave a comment below now!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Chris, for this insightful interview. Even though it's too late for a chance at a free book, Deb has given me the answer to my biggest problem right now. I am trying to fit a round story into a square hole. In other words, she reminded me to write what I know. That's why my 2nd middle-grade novel is not writing itself like the first one did. We have only taken 3 cruises in our 38 years of marriage, but I could write a story of the time the cruise ship almost left my husband in Crete. Great idea. Thanks again for the awesome interview.

    ReplyDelete