Blog Archive

Friday, March 10, 2023

Finding Your Writing Groove: Author Interview with Linda Rawlins

You’ve now published 10 books, but what inspired you to write that first one? How long did it take you to write your first book that was published? How many rewrites did you do on it?

I think I’ve always wanted to write. When I was in fifth grade, my teacher had displayed a book that he wrote which was a simple story with stick figures. But that simple book inspired me to begin writing my own book in fifth grade. (I know I completed three chapters of a Nancy Drew type mystery and wish I had saved that work!!)I had already read all of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy Mysteries and was working through my grandmother’s library of authors such as Phyllis Whitney, Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. 

I then went on to win a poetry contest in High School. In college I studied Literature but then went on to medical school. I was not able to return to reading fiction and then writing until MANY YEARS later. (about 25 years). My father had just died but my parents had encouraged me to write and read again. It took about two years to write The Bench. I would write and rewrite excessively until I was encouraged to just simply write the story and edit thereafter.
 
You are a member of Mystery Writers of America and Sisters in Crime critique groups. For those who aren’t active with a writer’s group, what would you tell them about joining one?
There are many writer’s groups and they all offer something different, in different ways. Find one that you like. You can be involved to the point of critiquing each other’s work or simply listen to arranged speakers teaching you how to hone your craft. Some groups are in person and some are on line. 

Experiment with all that are offered and find what works best for you. Some have fees and some don’t. However, keep in mind that none of these groups will publish your book. Some of the groups may hold conferences that have agents and editors as guests. That may offer easier access to submission but you still have to do your own work with writing and editing to your best possible result before you send your work out.
 
How do you go about plotting your mystery? Do you pick the victim or the murderer first? What do you think makes for a perfect murder mystery?
I start with the victim and then choose the killer and the motive. I write mystery, similar to Murder She Wrote where we don’t find out who the killer is until the end of the book.
I have never written a thriller, where the killer is revealed in the beginning, and the chase is on as I don’t want to be in the killer’s mind.
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
That would be to keep writing and learning the craft. The old example works here – A brain surgeon is not ready at the end of medical school but only after the first 100 surgeries. Same with writing. Each book should be better and better. I’ve also been told to read a lot of books in the same genre for tips and it does help. I’ve had to get used to writing the story and going back to edit afterward. Once I finish a book, I go back to the beginning and start over. At that point, once I know how the story turns out, I can go back and strengthen the rest of the book.
 
Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?

I think marketing is a combination of things. I do well with Facebook activity but it truly is a culmination of having a presence in the community, at book clubs, on line as well as conferences. It helps to advertise but can get expensive depending on who in incurring the cost.
 
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had learned sooner to relax, find my groove and simply write. I was so anxious to get things as “right as possible” and try to follow everything I had been told that I had to do, that I didn’t take enough time, earlier on, to simply enjoy my craft and write. Editing will always take place once the story is written.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Write what you want to read and don’t worry about what will be “hot” or trendy.  Just sit and write daily to hone your craft. Spending too much time in meetings, on line, or in a writing community can take a lot of time away from your main purpose which is to write.
 
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
It is a marathon, like any other talent. You will learn and continue to develop over years of writing. Learn from others but keep true to yourself.
 
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

I have two books scheduled to publish this year. The first is about an author who moves to England to do research for a publisher while writing her own mystery novel. She plans to work with the lead DCI to help with authenticity but doesn’t plan on having sparks fly.

And I plan to release the seventh in the Misty Point Mystery Series. Megan Stanford and her friends become involved with an abandoned amusement park on the Jersey Shore. The goals of their search did not include finding a dead body.

Lastly, what links would you like to be added at the end?
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Misty-Manor-Point-Mystery-Book-ebook/dp/B01HLIJJLO/
Website: http://lindarawlins.com/ 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lindarawlinsauthor
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/Lindarawlins/
 
And here's a bonus for my readers... Linda has offered to give away one of her eBooks from the 
Misty Point Mystery series to 3 readers. Just leave a comment on this post saying which eBook you'd like to win. Then next Friday, we'll pick 3 winners. Make sure you name is in the comment so we can contact you.

3 comments:

  1. This was a great read. I love that you write your books in the style of Murder She Wrote, that series is the whole reason I am a mystery fan! - Ashley Wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, lots of great info here. I am trying to write my 2nd middle grade mystery and it's just not gelling. Thanks for the tip to join a mystery writers' critique group and Mystery Writers of America. I can't imagine writing as many mysteries as Linda Rawlins has. Any one of your mysteries would be awesome win for me!

    ReplyDelete