Blog Archive

Friday, May 19, 2023

Be Authentic in Your Voice and Your Writing: Author Interview with Kaitlynn Clarkson

Amazon lists you as having 38 book titles. What inspired you to write that first novel? 
I'd wanted to write ever since I was a kid, but I didn't gather up the courage to try it until later in life. I just felt like I had to tell stories because they were already in my head! My first story was a novella and didn't take that long to write, but I agonized over all the revisions. I finally had to take a deep breath and just release the book without waiting for the perfect moment. It felt like a huge accomplishment when someone actually bought a copy, and that's where my author journey began.

You write in three genres -- sweet contemporary romance, rom-coms, and historical Irish/Viking/medieval romance novels. What drew you to writing in these genres? 
I write in different genres because I love each one, and I think I would get bored if I only wrote in one. I like to include humour in my work sometimes and that works best in a contemporary genre, but I also love the richness and romance of eras long past.

Which is easiest to write?
Contemporary romance requires less research and is therefore easier to write. Historical romance requires more attention to detail (I always try to be historically accurate), but it is rewarding when it all comes together.


What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
Getting the tension right in a story is a crucial part of its success, and it takes a lot of care and thought. Conflict also requires care to handle it well.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Sometimes I get a wonderful review from a happy reader, and it makes my day. It's a good feeling to know that my story has inspired someone else or brightened their day.

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I've found promos that match my book's niche to be quite successful. For example, my Irish books did well in a promo exclusively for Irish stories. It's about putting your book in front of the right readers rather than being more general with marketing. 

Even in the sub-genres of emotive romance (as opposed to steamy romance), there's no point putting a romantic suspense (no matter how clean/faith-friendly/sweet) in front of a reader whose preference is rom-com. So genre-specific promos tend to do better than general ones.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish someone had told me I could do it when I was younger. I regret the years I spent not writing because I didn't believe there was room for me in the industry or that anyone would want to listen to what I had to say. If you know a young person who loves writing, encourage them to do it. They won't regret starting young.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

If you know a young person who loves writing, encourage them to do it. They won't regret starting young. And if you're starting on your own writing journey later in life, it's not too late! Don't get to the end of your days and wish you had. Instead, be glad you did.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Be authentic in your voice and your writing. You'll find the people who resonate with you and love what you do, and you will also align with your purpose in writing. It's very hard to write successfully if you're trying to be someone you're not or you're writing in a field or genre that's not your true passion.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

My next book, Isabel: Countess of Pembroke, is due for release on May 24 and is part of my House of Clare series. The series follows the lives of the de Clare family and the contributions they made to England after the Norman conquest.

"She’s young. Every man in the land wants her fortune. And only the king will decide who she weds.

Taken from her widowed mother, young Isabel de Clare lives in the Tower of London as a ward of King Henry II. As the sole heiress of vast estates, she is a desirable marriage prize, and her protectors are determined to find her a worthy husband.

William Marshall is a veteran of many battles and a skilled statesman. His exploits are legendary, but he has always lived the life of a knight, never in one place for long. One day, he visits the Tower of London and meets a beautiful young girl. There seems to be an instant connection between them, but William keeps his distance, for she is just a child and he knows nothing of her heritage.

As time passes and the political landscape shifts, William finds himself in London once more. He is shocked to discover that the lovely child has become a beautiful, eligible young lady. And there are whispers that she could be his as a reward for his services to the crown.

Will Isabel accept a man old enough to be her father? Will William win her heart as well as her hand? Or will the death of the king sever the fragile promise between them forever?

Isabel: Countess Of Pembroke is sixth in the House Of Clare series. In it, you will find strong women, castles, heroes, sweet kisses, real history and happy endings. It can be read as a standalone or enjoyed as part of the series. "

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about each of the genres Kaitlynn writes, here's how to do that.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100053078803312
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/kaitlynn-clarkson
Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19929313.Kaitlynn_Clarkson
Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/stores/Kaitlynn-Clarkson/author/B07ZM93LSR
Website:https://kaitlynnclarkson.com/

And here are TWO bonuses for my readers...Subscribe to her newsletter and receive a FREE eBook from her contemporary series - 
Encounter At Spindrift Cottage 
https://dl.bookfunnel.com/3totkdrrdu
And if you like historical romance, you can get this FREE eBook: Katherine, Lady of Brionne 

No comments:

Post a Comment