Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Creating Fun Picture Books: Author Interview with Dore Ripley

Amazon lists you as having published 33 books, but what initially drew you to writing picture books? 

When I began my career in academics, I spent a lot of time writing conference papers, interviews, book reviews, and essays for academic journals. Academic writing leads to a dull and institutional style and it is a very hard habit to break. I wrote a long form novel and found I needed to cut loose a bit. My writing was too stiff and I needed another outlet.

So, I began writing children's books, the sillier the better. I taught children's literature and most of my students were in the teacher credentialing program. One of their assignments was to put together a unit on any subject matter using picture books. I got a good sense of the latest picture books and how our newest teachers would like to use them in their classrooms. I also get ideas and suggestions from my grandchildren, their friends, and classmates.

One thing I noticed about many of today's picture books is that they are so preachy. They want to endorse and sell whatever morals are popular at the moment. This creates books that are transparent and children often react to that negatively. Kids want silly. They want fun. They want weird. Not to say that my books don't have morals, they do. All of my picture books contain characters that care about each other, or persevere in the face of adversity. They are characters that treat each other the way they want to be treated.

I sometimes feel like I am going to run out of ideas for children's books, but an idea or two always wonks me on the head. I have a growing list of books that need to be finished.

How long did it take for you to complete your first book?
My first picture book using the pen name Yellow Duck Press was Kelvin the Cat and Artie the Alien in the Intercosmic Vacation. This was the first in the Kitty Cat Cousins series. It's a book about a cat who has been stationed on the moon and has a very boring job in Asteroid Acquisitions. He meets Artie one day and they go on an adventure to save the universe, a misunderstanding that almost causes an intergalactic war. Intercosmic Vacation was a lesson for me and that book took about a month from start to finish. 
 
Is there any one book that you are especially proud of writing?
The Fantastic True Story of Santa Claus is one book I am especially proud of. It started out as a book for one of my adult children who did not believe in the idea of Santa Claus - what a travesty. Yes, there is a Santa Claus. He lived a long time ago and his spirit lives on every year at your closest shopping mall - yet another travesty. The Christmas spirit involves kindness, sharing, and caring for others. I wanted to share Santa Claus with children and present how his legend grew without saying Santa Claus is "make believe." That part I left up to the parents. This is one of my best-selling books. 

What is the hardest part of putting together your picture books?

The artwork is probably the most difficult. I am not an artist, so I have to rely on programs like Canva to get the illustrations done. My art handicap also exerts control over the story. I may have an idea or outline of what I expect, but cannot accomplish the illustrations. The writing is pretty easy. Even when the art or characters go off on a tangent, they always seem to get to a satisfying end by taking the book in a direction I wasn't expecting.  

How did you get started in speaking at events? What types of topics do you cover?
Speaking engagements are something that have been a part of my life for a long time. As a professor, I taught comics as a vehicle to literacy and when I began doing that fifteen years ago, few librarians or teachers were interested. But comics are a great way to get kids, especially teens, into the library or bookstore. Comics are a vehicle to literacy and many of my picture books have a comic book element; speech bubbles make the connection between text and illustration, making reading easier for children. Over the years, I spread the word, but things have changed in the comic world. Comics have moved away from being a medium of the written word and moved towards being a vehicle for Hollywood movies.

Most of my speaking was done at academic conferences where I delivered papers on topics from Renaissance and medieval women to Film Noir, transhumanism, comics, and children's literature. I traveled all over the United States and met lots of fun and interesting people from all walks of life. Most recently, I spoke to a class of 3rd graders who were fabulous and honest. I asked them what they wanted to read and 
voilĂ  I have a whole new list of books.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
My best encouragement from readers is their wanting more. They tell me what they want; princess ballerinas, dinosaurs, dogs, the Easter Bunny, knights, and magic. They will give me names for characters, and settings. It's all a lot of crazy fun. I cherish the post card they filled out with kid scrawl listing all the names I should use in my books. 

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
Amazon ads seem to work best as a marketing tool. I don't spend a lot, but I get sales. I also have a customer list I reach through Facebook and Twitter. I do table top book shows and sell books that way, as well as school events. I keep a lot of business cards and postcards with me and hand them out to everyone I meet. I worked in sales and marketing for many years before teaching and understand that you can sell a lot with a lot of money, but that isn't why I started writing children's books. One thing I don't like about marketing is how much time you have to carve out of your schedule to work towards sales. 

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?

I am pretty well acquainted with the publishing industry. As a former editor of an academic journal, I understand how long it takes to solicit manuscripts, edit manuscripts, and coordinate with printers, and illustrators. I wish writers had more choices. KDP is pretty good, but it has its limitations. However, lately I notice a shift in the industry. IngramSpark is offering cheaper ways to publish as well as KOBO and other outlets. 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
My attitude differs from most writers. I have been published enough, in enough different genres to feel confident about being a writer. There are many people today that need to append their signature with "author" and I don't need that. Many spend thousands of dollars on accomplishing that. 

The best advice I ever received was from an editor. I had an article I needed to finish in a couple of hours, so I banged it out and turned it in. He asked me how long it took to write, and when I told him, "two or three hours," he responded with, "That's what you need to do in the future. Don't overwrite. Trust your writing."

When thinking about giving advice, I appreciate hearing other people's advice. I want to know what works for them because it might just work for me. I read books differently by examining how an author wrote a yummy description of a place, or had their character turn gracefully or, even better, convincingly. Those are things you can learn, or at least emulate. All writers should read as a writer. If you are not a voracious reader, you may never be a good writer.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
One thing I tell authors: don't forget eBooks. Once I began writing children's books, I quickly realized that if I were a parent of young children, I would load up every iPad, iPhone, Kindle, or other reading device with children's eBooks and enroll in Kindle Unlimited. Books take up room, books get lost, books get hurt, and while I appreciate my well-stocked library, over 20 percent of my sales are in eBooks and Kindle Unlimited. It is a great way to expand your children's book market and sales.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details?
Currently, I am doing something a little different and working on a Kindle Vella story called The Playhouse Mysteries. The series is a murder mystery that takes place in the playhouses of Renaissance London. The main character is a feisty female who is secretly working in a man's world. It is a kick and being a short, serialized format, it forces me to just write and put it up. I feel less pressure and it lets me write in an area that I love.

My last children's book was Dining with A Dinosaur. It is a level two reader in the Sail into Reading series. It tells the story of a young boy who can't believe there are no dinosaurs. He goes to the wild place and finds a young dinosaur named Smidge. Smidge sneaks into town, wins the dinosaur costume contest, has dinner, and makes lots of friends. I created it with Dolch, Fry, and sight words, and is in a 6" x  9" format, making it the size of a chapter book.

My next picture book is called Auntie Katz Takes a Vacation, another book in the Kitty Cat Cousins series. Auntie Katz retires, and she decides to take an around the world tour with her nephew. I would like this to be a bit like "Find Auntie Katz" as the nephew takes pictures of Auntie Katz at many locations. But, I'm not sure how it will turn out given the illustration restrictions and the minds of these comic characters. 

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Dore's books, check out these links.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, Chris.
    Children's books are really hard for me to write and even harder to find an illustrator to see your vision. Kudos to Dore for her success in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. It has been such a joy to create these works.

    ReplyDelete