Blog Archive

Friday, June 2, 2023

Falling in Love with History: Author Interview with Danielle Grandinetti

You’ve now published several books, but what inspired you to write that first one? What made you choose historical romance? 

The first question is actually somewhat complicated. Of my currently released books, I wrote Confessions to a Stranger first, then A Strike to the Heart, and then To Stand in the Breach, though they were published in reverse order. I wrote Confessions to a Stranger as I regained my equilibrium after becoming a mom. Getting back into writing, I drew on my communications background to create Adaleigh. I wrote it for myself, and it was fun. 

Next, I wrote A Strike to the Heart. This one began as a contemporary story, but something was missing. When I learned about the 1930 milk strikes, I rewrote it and this story became my first traditionally published historical romance. Then my publisher agreed to let me independently publish bookend novellas. That's how To Stand in the Breach became my first historical romance. Writing those books caused me to fall in love with writing in the 1930s, so I rewrote Confessions to a Stranger to fit the time periodIt is now the first book in my new series, Harbored in Crow's Nest.
  
How do you go about doing research for your books? 

One of my favorite resources to use in newspaper archives. I scour them for interesting information, opinions, and advertisements to give me a feel for how life was like in the 1930s. I also draw from the stories I heard growing up. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression, including my Italian grandma, who lived in Chicago during those years. 

What’s one of the most unique facts you’ve discovered in doing your research?
One of the more interesting facts I discovered happened while writing my upcoming release, Refuge for the Archaeologist. One of Italy's major earthquakes occurred during the timeline of my story. A story about an archaeologist. It was the perfect situation to cause Cora to return home for the first time in years.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
 When my readers tell me to keep writing because of how much they enjoy my stories. It is a huge encouragement!

Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I'm still learning this aspect of my writing career. I think building relationships with my readers is the most helpful, whether through my newsletter or my Facebook group. No matter what, I truly love interacting with my readers! 

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?

To trust what I love, and write that. I believe the joy shows up in my stories. 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Similar to the above question. To trust my writing instinct. If something feels off, but I'm hesitant to fix it, my editor almost always points it out later.  

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
For me, writing is also a personal journey. I write because I love it. I publish because I have readers who love my stories. And I hope that continues for years to come.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a few details?
Refuge for the Archaeologist, book two in my Harbored in Crow's Nest series, releases on July 18. Here are the details.

Will uncovering the truth set them free or destroy what they hold most dear?

Wisconsin, 1930—With her health in shambles and her archaeological career on the line, Cora Davis retreats to Crow’s Nest and the home of her great aunt to heal. She doesn’t think much of the missing memories from between the earthquake that caused her dizzy spells and her trip home. Until she begins remembering the danger that sent her fleeing her last dig and the person responsible.

After a decade as a ranch hand, Silas Ward returned to Crow’s Nest to provide for the women in his life. That same protective instinct propels him to Cora’s aid. But when finances dwindle, the lies and greed of others threaten to ruin his family. Unless Silas can walk the thin line of compromise. A choice that might cost him Cora’s affection.

As winter’s chill threatens, will Crow’s Nest prove a refuge, or will both Cora and Silas have no choice but to sacrifice their chance at happiness to save those they love?

And my debut Love Inspired sweet romance, A Father for Her Boys, will be on shelves August 22. Here's the details on that one.

A family scarred by tragedy…will find hope in an unlikely gardener

A summer escape to the quaint little town of River Cove is just what auntie turned mom Sofia Russo—and her troubled, energetic nephews—needs. It’s a chance to heal from grief and her broken foot. But a surprising friendship with compassionate gardener Nathaniel Turner shows Sofia just how much she’s been missing…and how much she stands to lose when summer ends.

That's all for today's interview. If you would like to learn more about Danielle's books, check out these links.

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of Danielle's eBook of Confessions to a Stranger. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Friday!


1 comment:

  1. Great interview! Danielle's books look so interesting. I love the covers. I love historical fiction that's why I included so much in my memoir. Starting with my dad who was born in 1904 and grew up in a Jewish orphanage in NYC. It was so interesting digging for information about the asylum, as they called it then, and the atmosphere of that time period. I would love to win Danielle's Confessions to a Stranger.

    ReplyDelete