Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Every Child Big or Small Is Valued: Author Interview with Karen Cogan

What made you decide to start writing picture books?

I’ve always loved children and I’ve always loved telling stories. As a little girl, I would make up stories and beg my older sister to write them down for me. She was a very good sport.
 
Images in picture books are key to a story’s impact. How did you go about finding an illustrator? 
I always have in mind the way I want my illustrations to look. I would check illustration sites and see who most closely matched the picture in my mind for each book. One exception was my privilege to work with a professional artist who showed at the gallery with my husband. She had an amazing southwest style that worked beautifully with our award-winning picture book, Pancho Finds A Home.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
The hardest part for me has always been the technology. Figuring out the layout, best fonts, and hooks for the books have been my biggest challenges.
 
What parts of the book design and layout do you do? How do you find others to help?
With formatting I can usually go it with templates or help from my talented husband. I always hire out cover design. I go to sites such as Fiverr or Get Covers and browse to see who has a style that will work for the book I plan to publish.
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
I have had some very kind notes about what my books have meant to them. I must add that the reviews and ratings are also a tremendous encouragement. I am very touched when someone takes the time and trouble to review a book and write why they like it.
 
Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
Dave Chesson’s list of recommended advertising sites is a useful list that I have used.
 

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had known the value of advertising. I spent a number of years publishing on Amazon and hoping readers would discover my books. As I became more educated on the value of advertising and how it helps to get exposure, I’ve begun posting regular ads.
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

The best advice I’ve received is to write what you know. I spent most of my life caring for children. I babysat as a teenager, worked in day care, had my own children and spent years as a preschool and kindergarten teacher. From these experiences, I’ve learned a great deal about what children like to read and about their imaginations. These insights are invaluable in forming my book ideas.

 Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
I would advise authors to write what they love. Write for the ages and themes you enjoy and are passionate about. It will come through in your stories.

 Tell me about your latest book. 
A current book is Sunny Under the Sea, which is part of the book series
God's Lessons for Little Kids.  The story shows the importance of being kind and realizing we all have value in God's eyes, no matter how small. It has 186 reviews with an average of 4.5 stars.


That's all for today's interview.
If you'd like to learn about Karen's books, here's how you can get started.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Under-Sea-Karen-Cogan-ebook/dp/B0B81S991Y

 Karen has also published a middle-grade time travel novel, contemporary romance novels, and regency romance novels. You can find all those books here:
https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Girl-Karen-Cogan-ebook/dp/B078WMLXLL

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to Karen. I am a strong believer in authors writing what they know. Even doing that there can be lots of research that goes into getting things right. My memoir took a year of research into Ellis Island and my father living in NYC. Thanks for this great interview, Chris.

    ReplyDelete