Blog Archive

Friday, June 9, 2023

Write, Rewrite, Edit, Rewrite: Author Interview with Charlene Amsden

When did you first start writing? 

I wrote my 1st novel at 6 years old. It was 83 handwritten pages. I wrote as small as I could, and kept my printing straight by drawing very faint pencil lines on the paper. My story was about a girl who ran away from home because she didn't have parents and had a mean lady taking care of her. The girl lived in an old bus in the junkyard until she got caught shoplifting. Then she went off to jail. (Because I didn't know that wouldn't happen.) A nice police officer befriended her, and he and his wife adopted the little girl, so she had parents again and lived happily-ever-after. 
What made you decide to write your first novel? 
The first novel I finished as an adult was also handwritten. I was on a three week camping trip with my family and I spent the majority of my time fishing and writing in a spiral notebook. My college writing instructor said it was trash. She was probably right, but that was harsh. The first book I finished that was actually published just came to me. It flowed onto my computer screen as if someone else was typing. It was pretty amazing–to me at least.
 
How long did it take you to write your book? Who helped you with the editing?
It took me about six weeks to write my first published novel. Then I sent it off to a couple of
 my author friends who each did a thorough critique, and came back with the same points. Since they didn't even know each other, the fact that they agreed meant I had some rewriting to do. I revised the draft, filling in the plot holes and toning down some of my descriptors. That took me another four or five weeks. Then I sent that draft to another friend to edit. It took me about two weeks to go through her notes and clean things up. So, I guess, three drafts from beginning to end. One of my writing friends and my niece each went through my novel before I published it and said everything was fine. Even so, one of my ARC readers sent me back an edited draft and I had about 50 more mistakes to correct. 
In the first printing of that novel, Arabella dried her hands on a bowl and draped it over a chair. I want to blame autocorrect. I don't know why my friend, my niece, and I let that get past us–not to mention my editor!
 
What is the hardest part of writing for you? 

Tension. I always think my books are too blah but my readers don't agree. In fact, as I said, the beta readers for my first novel said the main male character was too forceful and decisive to be likeable. They both said they were so upset at him they didn't want to finish the book. 
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
My husband believes in me. He supports me both emotionally and financially, and takes my writing time seriously. In fact, he's more willing to spend money on my writing career than I am. He read my novels, then he purchased everything we need to create our own audiobooks. He has the knowledge and the voice. He still works full time and is a part-time musician, so I don't know when the books will actually get done, although the orchestra has gone dark for the summer, so maybe soon.  
 
As an indie- author, what is the most challenging part about putting together your books together? 
I do my own formatting and love it. I use Atticus. It is a very simple program. I love the way my pages come out and the fact that I can create a book that suits the style of the story. I have a top-notch professional cover designer. I am not up to her quality of work. Besides, she knows a lot more about branding than I do. A good many of her covers can be found on Amazon's top 100 lists in both clean and wholesome and Christian romance. Her name is Julia Gussman and she can be found online at sweetlibertydesigns.com.
What do you know now about writing that you wished you had known sooner?

Mostly, I wish I hadn't been so skeptical about self-publishing for so long. I wasted a good many years querying traditional publishers when I don't write traditional or formula romance. I tossed a lot of promising stories away because I couldn't make them conform to the "pattern." 
 
What is some of the best writing advice that you’ve received or could give?
Read. Read. Read. Read. Read. Reading will improve your writing, providing you are reading well-written prose, of course. And that doesn't mean you can't read comic books or graphic novels. What it does mean is that the grammar and syntax of whatever one reads should flow smoothly and logically, the spelling should be as accurate as possible (some mistakes will slip through), and the story plot should be cohesive. 
 
Are there any other points about writing that you would like to add?
Don't give up. Ask for advice and listen when someone takes the time to critique you. Learning can be tough on the ego, but I'd rather take the hit from a friend or fellow author. Publishing less than my very best wouldn't just ensure poor reviews, it would keep me from growing and stretching and become even better at my craft. 
 
What is the next book that will be coming out? Can you give me some details?
That is a loaded question. I actually have outlined a full series set in Wyoming that I would love to start, but I first have to finish Yellow Pine. I have had the books outlined for a while, but my next novel–my third–is not going as smoothly as my first two. 
For one thing, my writing was interrupted by breast cancer. I wrote while I went through chemotherapy, but what I created was a tangled mess I have yet to sort out. Some scenes are lucid, some are not. The writing of this book–How (Not) to Succeed at a Marriage of Convenience–is taking longer than both of my previous novels put together. 
The synopsis is pretty much clear from the title. Katy marries her best-friend, Gar, to help him secure his inheritance and save the family farm, but they almost immediately break one of the stipulations of their marriage agreement, and then another, and another–what they don't do is talk about their choices, so even though they seem to agree with each other, neither is really sure what the other is thinking. My primary theme for this book is the importance of communication. 
That's all for today's interview. If you would like to learn more about Charlene's writing, here are some links to get you started.
Website: https://www.charlene-amsden.com/
Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/stores/author/B08HHJCS8N/allbooks
Linktree: 
https://linktr.ee/charleneamsdenauthor


3 comments:

  1. It’s so important to have the support of a loved one to have faith in your work. Writing is a lonely job sometime so to have someone like your spouse to come alongside of you and support you the way that this author’s husband has done is awesome. Thanks Chris for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless I see a name, I can't contact you if you are the winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need a name to be entered into the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete