Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Publishing a Book is Much More Than Having a Story Idea: Author Interview With Terri Sabol

What made you decide to start writing picture books?

I’ve always loved reading books. When I was an early childhood teacher, reading books to my students was always a highlight of my day.

How long did it take for you to complete your first book?
I adopted my two cats, Oscar and Emmy, in December 2015, and I took about 2000 pictures and videos in the first month! I thought my cats would be perfect candidates to help spread the word about rescue and adoption via picture books. I interviewed the shelter’s manager in January of 2016 to get the scoop on what happens behind the scenes of an animal shelter to get the animals ready for adoption. The book, Oscar and Emmy Get Rescued, was published that December.

Are you active in any writing critique groups?
When I am actively writing a manuscript per month, I’m usually part of two different critique groups (one online and one in person). When my schedule only allows for writing less often, then I rely on a critique partner and an editor.

How did you go about finding an illustrator?

My 10th book is being illustrated right now and I’ve had four illustrators total. The first one was a referral from a friend. The other three were found online by searching either for certain hashtags or in various illustration groups. Three of the illustrators have done multiple books for me. Kneading a Winning Idea and Green With Envy are both standalone books that are outside the Oscar and Emmy Series. They are both illustrated by the same talented artist, Pei Jen, because I enjoyed working with her so much.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
Creating and putting together the books is the fun part. I love the process. Marketing them and finding your audience is the hardest part.

Did you personally design the full book, or did you have assistance with formatting or cover design, etc.? 
I learn from each book what I like, as well as reading and researching other published books for what works. Some illustrators, I’ve worked more closely with on the cover design. Others, have more free reign because I trust that their vision aligns with mine. I also like illustrators who have design and formatting experience so they illustrate each page with the complete book in mind to begin with.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?

For Kneading a Winning Idea, I love hearing when a family is inspired to make the recipe included in the back of the book. I also love seeing when my books are front and center on bookshelves in classrooms and bedrooms.

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
Recently, I joined other authors of Spanish books to help promote each other. I included the bilingual version of my first book, Oscar y Emmy son rescatados, in the eBook promo. Soon after, I had a single order for 15 physical copies of my book, my largest order for that book.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had known how important marketing is and about building your subscriber list from the beginning. Especially if you have niche books and a smaller audience. It's good to build that relationship with them early since they will be your biggest cheerleaders. Also, social media is always changing, so it's nice to have your list that will stay with you regardless of the current trendy platform.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

Children's books authors are so supportive of each other. It's great when you find a small group of authors and form a critique group to help be beta readers and sounding boards for each other. Also, when you start publishing, they are very helpful to have on your book launch team. It’s nice to be part of a supportive community.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Most people don’t realize that publishing a book is so much more than having an idea and writing the book. There are so many layers of revision and editing (including by peers and paid editors), researching and hiring an illustrator, graphic design, formatting, book sizes, knowing printing options, website design and upkeep, social media content and engagement, newsletters, blogs, author visits to schools, in-person events, digital author visits, keeping up with inventory, tracking royalties, ads, sales taxes, IRS taxes, etc. 

For some, writing a book may just be a passion project. For others, they want a career of being an author and must learn the business side of it. In the beginning, it might be a lot of trial and error. If this is what you really want, do the research, surround yourself with a great team, and don’t give up.


Tell me more about your 
Oscar and Emmy Book Series. 
The series is inspired by my real-life cats, Oscar and Emmy. The books are ideal for cat families and animal activists who are looking for an engaging way to guide their kids in taking an active role in pet care. The book topics include rescue and adoption, spay and neuter, microchipping, pet disaster kits, preventative health care vet visits, trap-neuter-return, and euthanasia.

I also have two books outside the series. They both focus on perseverance and being the best version of yourself. Green With Envy tackles the familiar feeling of jealousy and learning to appreciate what you have. In Kneading a Winning Idea, Ben is inspired by his cat to improve his buttermilk biscuit recipe—and hopefully win the baking contest.

My amazing illustrator, Roksana Barwinska, has been busy working on my next book, Oscar and Emmy Foster a Kitten, to be released later this year.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Terri's books, here are the links to get you started. 
Website: https://www.terrisabol.com/
Blog: https://www.terrisabol.com/blog/
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Terri-Sabol/author/B01MSWRB9M
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/terrisabol/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OscarAndEmmyBooks/

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of one of  Terri's eBooks. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment