Blog Archive

Friday, June 16, 2023

Researching for Writing Historical Fiction: Author Interview with Catherine Richmond

What made you decide to write historical fiction? 
How long did it take you to write the first book that was published? 
In 1991, I heard a folk song about a mail order bride. After learning how to write, research, query, and with some serious self-doubt driven procrastination, Spring for Susannah was published in 2011.

How you do go about choosing a time frame and a pivotal real person or event to craft your story around?
History drives those choices. For Through Rushing Water, I only had a year to write the story. To make research easier, I looked for the most interesting event in local history of the 1870s, which was the trial of Standing Bear. The US Postal Service agrees - they just issued a Standing Bear stamp! While researching, I discovered there was a Russian teacher on the Ponca reservation. A woman by that name had taught at Vassar. So why would anyone leave this fancy college (central heating and plumbing!) for a poverty-stricken reservation? Her experience must have been a bit like mine serving as a missionary to an impoverished area. So, I found my relatable character. 

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing? 
Soon after the release of The Shelter of Each Other, the library in Soldier, Iowa contacted me. Soldier is a town of 184, up the road from Preparation Canyon State Park, where The Shelter of Each Other was set. We had a blast talking about ancestors who lived in Preparation and sharing our speculations about this mysterious community.
 
Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks? 
While working, I didn’t have time for marketing. I recently retired and committed to learning. David Gaughran’s Starting from Zero online class helped me focus, instead of fling money to the wind. 
 
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I’d had the courage of my convictions to stand up for my stories.  

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Don’t take it so seriously! 

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Hold onto the joy!
 
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
 I’m working on a sequel to one of my books. It’s in the early stages, so I don’t have a title, synopsis, or release date. Stay tuned!

That's all for today's interview. I hope it has encouraged you to look into her books. Here's how to get started. 

https://catherinerichmond.com/

https://www.facebook.com/catherinerichmondfans

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive an eBook of The Shelter of Each Other. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Friday!


5 comments:

  1. I do want to be in the giveaway. I have based my 2nd middle school mystery on history joined with a tombstone on my childhood farm in Pennsylvania. I have researched quite a bit and when I do, I end up following interesting rabbit trails.I wonder if this author has the same problem. Thanks Chris for bringing this author to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading (and writing) historical fiction.Would love to receive free ebook and can offer writing Amazon review. I really found the researching piece to be fulfilling. I agree wit the author, that marketing research must be carefully conducted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous...I need a name to enter you into the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to read one of your historical novels....it's my very favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan - you are our winner. Please contact me so we can send you the eBook.

      Delete