Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Go Out and Meet Your Readers: Author Interview with Jennifer R. Lee

What made you decide to start writing picture books?
I was reading a book to my kids one evening, which we did all the time when my kids were little. This particular book was one of the poorest written books, stupid plot, and just garbage. I said to myself, “wow…I could write a better book than this!” So, that’s what gave me the thought that maybe I actually could.

How long did it take for you to complete your first book? 
I wrote my first little manuscript about 15 years ago after that bedtime-story epiphany. It took me a couple of days to work it out. It is a 10 page little rhyming book called, Whose Toes Are Those. It is meant to be a lift-the-flap board book for toddlers. I sent it out to some publishers but got rejected. I didn’t really know where else to go with it, so I just shelved it. I came across it again when I cleaned out my office during Covid (lol) and thought, “This is a good little story!” That ignited my passion again for writing!

The second book I wrote, The Antelope Ate My Cantaloupe, is actually the first one I published. It is a paperback/hardcover picture book which I wrote about over 2-4 weeks. Rewriting, wordsmithing, rearranging, etc. Thesaurus.com is my best friend. It is also a rhyming book and that takes a lot of work to get the cadence and rhythm right without forcing the rhymes.

Then my illustrator took about 4-5 months to complete the pictures (36 + the cover). My publisher took about 3-4 weeks to get it print-ready and uploaded to book sites. So about a 6-7 month process for my first one start to finish. My next book, Mike Crashed My Motor Bike was done in about 4 months and is now available on Amazon.

 Are you active in any writing critique groups?
No. I am a teacher, a good proofreader and editor so I do a lot of that work myself. But I do have many family members and friends who help me get another set of eyes on my stories and give me advice on how to improve my stories or offer suggestions.

How did you go about finding an illustrator?
For this first book, Whose Toes Are Those, I used the in-house illustrator that came with my publisher. For my other books, I found one on Fiver.com that fit my vision. I’ve worked with that illustrator for two of my books and soon to be a third one.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
For me, it was finding the right illustrator to work with. I went through about 3 others and they just didn’t share my vision for the pictures. In a picture book, it’s so important that the images help propel the story along and they can be used to explain parts of the writing that words can’t necessarily express.

Give me more details on what the process was like in publishing your books.
I wrote my manuscript in a Word document. My illustrator sent me his digital files in PDF form and I sent all that to my publisher and they did the book layout. My illustrator also designs my book covers. The fee I pay to my publisher covers that layout cost and then I know that the book is in the right format to be uploaded to the various book distribution sites and Amazon for Print-On-Demand orders. I know the books will look good when printed and delivered. My publisher helps with font style and color choices as well and placement of the text, so that is also a nice feature. 

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers? 
My favorite story is from a friend who bought my book, The Antelope Ate My Cantaloupe. This is actually my first official published book that is available. But she bought it for her 2 year old grandson. It also came with a little plush baby antelope toy. She said he kept begging for a real cantaloupe to feed to his “antelope”! So, when cantaloupes were in season, she bought one and her grandson was pretending the antelope was actually eating it! I thought, “that is what reading can do….help kids be imaginative, immerse themselves in a silly story and just have fun with it! So that’s my goal with writing - to just bring joy and happiness to people! 

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I have had the best success at book fairs and school visits. I find that the more people can connect personally with the book, they are more likely to buy it. When I read to students, it gives me a chance to read it to them how I intended the story to unfold. They immediately gain a connection to the characters. We get to point out the silly funny parts together. 

At book fair events, people like to flip through the book and my amazing illustrations capture their hearts and they’ll buy it! I think it’s tough to just be on a bookshelf competing with so many books. That’s where a good title and cover can help you stand out from other books. 

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner? 
That it really isn’t too intimidating and if you just start doing some research online and asking other authors, you can find the right publisher to help you get done what you need to get your book out. 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give? 
Just Start! For me, especially as a teacher, I see kids just stalled and stuck when starting an assignment and if they just type something down, the rest will come. For writers, same advice. Just start…write something down…put the first words on the page, and trust yourself….the words will come. The story will unfold. It can all be changed later so it doesn’t have to be perfect to start! 

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add? 
Writing is so fun! It’s a great way to express ideas, be creative, and share something wonderful with the world! 

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details?
My next book is called Mike & Chip Build a Rocket Ship! I just finished the manuscript and will be getting it illustrated. It should be out by the end of the year. This is the 3rd book that includes my cute characters, a boy and his friend Antelope. I really like this one for its imaginative plot! I can’t wait to see what my illustrator does with this one! Stay tuned! 

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Jennifer's stories, here are two links to get you started.

And here's a bonus for my readers. Leave a comment on this post and next Tuesday we'll pick one winner from all those who left comments to recieve an eBook copy of Whose Toes Are Those. It's an interactive book that can be viewed on a tablet,  phone, or computer with a Lift-the-flap style interaction! . So what are you waiting for? Leave a comment now!

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for illustrations to come back on my first children's book. So impressed with Jennifer's pictures. That's what sells a book! Thanks for the interview. Great reading.

    ReplyDelete