Blog Archive

Friday, August 25, 2023

A Bounty of Books and Loving Them All: Author interview with Susan Page Davis

You’ve now published 100+ books, but what inspired you to write that first one?

The very first book I wrote, which was not published until several years later, was inspired by a program I saw where I didn’t like the ending. At the time, I was writing for a newspaper. But I kept thinking of that story and alternate plot lines that I would have liked better. It kept changing and growing into a completely different and more complicated story. Finally, I told my husband, “I have this story in my head, and I think it’s a complete book.” And he said, “Write it down!”

You write in several romance genres - suspense, historical, and mystery. Is there one genre that’s easier to write than the others? 
Contemporary stories are definitely easier to write than historical, because they don’t require as much research into technology, archaic verbiage, historical events, and so on. But I still love history. I also love mysteries, and most of my books have some element of mystery in them. I love writing them all.

How do you go about plotting your mystery/suspense? Do you pick the victim or the murderer first?
Sometimes I do. My stories are best if I know the crime and the murderer from the start. But I have changed things up before while writing. Things are more seamless, I feel, if I plot it out first. And I try to plan in advance for several clues that are logical and a satisfying conclusion.

What do you think makes for a perfect mystery or suspense novel?

One where everything makes sense and the criminal gets his comeuppance.

Who's your favorite murder or suspense author?
 It’s hard to pick one. I’ve always loved Dick Francis, but I have many “favorites.”

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Support from my husband. 

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?
Book Bub deals. 
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Read widely and write every day. 
 
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
My next traditionally published book will be True Blue Christmas, book 5 in my True Blue Mysteries series. It will release November 7.

New neighbors, cryptic Christmas cards, and jury duty. What next? Campbell McBride is juggling her new role as a private investigator with her slightly wacky personal life. Can she and her dad figure out who stashed a valuable painting in their client’s attic? And is the murder of an egocentric landlord somehow connected?

Sounds like it has  some interesting twists and turns to that plot. If you'd like to learn mor3e about Susan's books here are some links to get you started.
Website: https://susanpagedavis.com/
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Susan-Page-Davis/author/B001IR1CGA?
BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/susan-page-davis
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/susanpagedavisauthor

And here's a special treat, subscribe to her newsletter to receive a free short story: https://madmimi.com/signups/118177/join

And here's a special bonus for my readers... Leave a comment on this post. It can be as simple as "I'd like to win a book." You'll be entered for a giveaway for an eBook that's book 1  of the True Blue Mysteries series, Blue Plate Special.One winner will be chosen next Friday. If the winner has already read that book, she'll offer a different book. So what are you waiting for, add a comment today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me visit, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I would love to write that many books. And I would love to win an ebook! Thanks

    ReplyDelete