Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Finding the Writing Method for You: Author Interview with Jenny Strohmeyer

What made you decide to start writing books for children? 

I started out creating stories for live storytelling and for my Youtube channel, SpiritStories. Ideas usually come to me when I’m daydreaming, and asking myself “what if?” questions. One day my mind wandered into thinking about angels, and I asked myself, “what if there were some very mischievous angels in Heaven? Ones who loved to have fun instead of concentrating on their angel duties?” I decided they would probably be smaller and more childlike than the other more serious angels, and the idea for The Small Ones was born. The idea became much larger than what would fit into a ten-minute story, so I decided to turn it into a book for children.

How long does it take for you to complete a book?
Both the books I have written have taken a year to complete, from the start of writing, going through the editing process, working with the illustrator and graphic designer, to the uploading for publication on Amazon. When I complete the writing for one book, I immediately start on the next one. While I’m writing one book, I’m always compiling lists of ideas for subsequent ones for The Small Ones Series.

You publish as an indie author. How did you those who helped with putting the book together as a completed project?
I had very specific ideas about the illustrations I wanted for the cover and the interior. I knew I wanted to have an actual artist do them, instead of using computer-generated art. Mary (Coons) and I work together on the ideas. I send her a list of what is needed, and then she and I meet to go over the preliminary sketches. She always adds lots of fun ideas. Of course, lunch at our favorite restaurant is always a part of these meetings! Then, we meet again to go over the final artwork (lunch again!). I always look forward to seeing her very detailed and winsome illustrations. I found Mary through the recommendation of a mutual friend.

Initially I thought I would try to format the book myself. But when I looked at the requirements for AmazonKDP formatting, I knew I was going to need help! Graphic designer Suzanne Parada was recommended to me by my editor, Janet Schwind. Suzanne's choices for the fonts, and the layout of the whole book, enhance and fit the story perfectly.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
Finding an illustrator was the most difficult, and longest part of getting the first book ready for publication. I made contact with seven different artists over several months. Some started the job but for different reasons were unable to finish. Before I chose Mary, she made some preliminary sketches for me so I could see her style and interpretation of my ideas. She has truly caught the spirit of the story and her illustrations are delightful!

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
I have found that adults like these books almost as much as children do. My first book was given to a young man who was grieving the loss of a relationship. As he read it, he just started laughing, and his healing was accelerated. Knowing that this book was used to help this young man move forward in his life makes all the hard work worthwhile!

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
For both books I designed an email attachment that features my introductory Youtube video about it. I send this attachment to friends and family members, and ask them to forward it to anyone they know who might be interested. This gives a personal introduction to the books from people who know me, and has generated sales.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I researched the self-publishing process before I started and decided it was the best option for me. Having done that beforehand, nothing happened that was an unpleasant surprise. I would encourage anyone who is wanting to publish to research all the options as thoroughly as possible so they know what to expect, and can then pick the method that is going to work best for them.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

To achieve the maximum productivity for your writing, know yourself and your work style. Having read biographies about authors and how they structured their days, I knew I needed to follow the ones who treat it like a job and discipline themselves to keep specific hours set aside for writing every day. Before I committed to doing that, I was finding lots of excuses to avoid working on the book. Then I would feel guilty all day if I didn’t do any writing at all! While I love the creative part of making up a story, I’m not one of those people who loves the writing process. I had to discipline myself to make it a priority. However, every person is different. Find the method that works best for you.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
The ability to put things into words that clarify, inform, educate, or encourage, is a gift. It can take many forms: a letter, an article, a book, a document, or even a greeting card. May every person who reads this find many ways to use their writing to bless others!

What is the next book coming out?  Can you give me some details?
I hope to publish the next book in 2024. The Small Ones will be assigned to help Noah and his family on the ark. With so many creatures in one space, there are lots of opportunities for fun situations and dilemmas for Small Ones. I have so many ideas for this one that I’m having trouble picking out the best ones!

That's all for today's interview. Check out the links below to learn more about Jenny's books.
Books
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Ones-Great-Earth-Adventure/dp/B0B4C6YJPF
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Ones-Their-First-Assignment/dp/B0CDF17FD7

YouTube Announcements


2 comments: